Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Jul 1996 18:17:38 -0700
From:         mike@arnold.ca (Mike)
Subject:      Weekend Fun/Need RPM's

Hello listies. Well I succesfully installed a tach in the ol van so I can finally see just how Mr.Motor is running. The gauge was only $30 from Crappy Tire, my kinda FLAP in a pinch..would that be FLAPIAP?? Anyhow its a nice small black gauge that I decided to mount just to the right of the regular gauge panel. It stuck on rather nicely with a piece of double sided tape, plus it allows me to remove it at a later date. :) The install wasnt to bad, although I did have to call over a freind who was a bit more adept at the wiring than I, and once he saw the wiring diagram in Bentely my wiring woes were solved. ABout the only real difficulty I did encounter was trying to run the wire the whole way up to the front, and finding a place to bring it up through the panelling. I finally found a place, after removing the spare tire and windsheild fluid resevoir, that lead the wire up behind the panelling under the stereo/radio. So now I have an RPM gauge...but.....I need to know what sort of RPM's I should be running at, and thats where you all come in. :) SO if some kind person could gimmie that peice o' knowledge I would be much obliged. I also managed to get an oil change done, although Id like to strangle the punk who tightened the oil filter on with a 2km long leverage bar. AAAAAArgh. Tried that anti-brake squeel stuff on the front brakes, and suprisingly enough it seems to work. They sure do give you alot of that stuff for $3. I could probably do about 12 pads with the amount they pack in there, although maybe that means you have to keep putting the damn stuff on all the time. :( Never thought of that.

And on a bad note I managed to strip a wheel bolt. I freind kindly told me come by his place of employment later this week and we'll re-tap the top, screwed up(no pun intended) part.

- system shutdown -

________ /________\ Mike Wynn (mike@arnold.ca) / = \ Arnold Publishing and Multimedia [ I_________ I ] Edmonton, Alberta I V I '83 Westfalia I (0) W (0) I =========== I_I I_I Life is not fair. Hindsight is bogus.