Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Jul 1996 00:58:14 -0400
From:         Claralw@aol.com
Subject:      screwy numbers and  '59 Singlecab Status

hi Josh, you wrote:

> >416848. It was on the little plate, and stamped into the >tranny tunnel. Clara good friend, does your magic book shed some >light? Thanks!- - > >your bus is a very early 59, buildt 1 Jan 59 ! pretty neat. >

Clara- According to the info on the body tag on my '59 Panel #423794, its manufacture date was 12/31/58. Any ideas on this? His tag should have his date of manufacture on it. - - - - dates i have: 22 dec 58 420 574 29 dec 58 422 670 (tail light position changed) 31 dec 58

2 jan 59 422 999 (rear wheel cylinder- seat of push rod rubber boots modified) 5 jan 59 425 412 5 jan 59 425 461 these numbers come from the book of progressive changes, by vw to 61

the number i had before i was looking at the list of chassis and unit numbers, described as month end figures. the chassis number for dec 58 is 416 082. hmm- that doesnt jive with your number.

the parts list (updated to 73)production survey lists the last bus made in 58 as 423 156, which agrees with your '59 Panel #423794 being a 12/31/58 buildt bus, but not with the changes listed in the progessive changes book.

the 58 ed of parts list says nothing helpful as it is the april 58 edition.

funny, isn't it? now my faith in the books put out by vw for the dealers is completely shattered. i might as well go cal look now. :(

clara