Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Jul 1996 09:23:41 -0800
From:         Glen & Caron <gbuhlman@direct.ca>
Subject:      Bottom of the Top of the World Tour Returns (kinda long)

Well Caron and I got back Thursday night. Originally we had only planned on accompanying the tour to Shannon Falls for breakfast and then heading back and working like responsible folk.

We went to the party on Sunday night at Tobin and Christa's and had a really good time. The VW reps left before we got there so I didn't have a chance to ball them out for wanting $150 for the 4" piece of fuel hose I had been looking for earlier in the month. But they did leave a mountain of these cool little VW keychains with red LED's in them, so all was temporarily forgiven.

Somehow our plans changed to driving with the tour on Monday to Quesnel (or wherever they stopped) and then coming back to Vancouver to work (you know that responsible thing). So we drove up north with everyone on Monday morning. It was getting late as we pulled into the Tim Horton's (best doughnuts and coffee in all of NA) in William's Lake and spotted a splittie in the parking lot (sorry I'm not good at guessing the year of these things). Turns out it belonged to Wilbur who suggested we bus it over to this bush lot he owns a few km's out of town. The road in looked a little treacherous so we sent Coyote in with the EV to check it out ;-) He had no problem so we knew all the real VW's would make it. (donning fire retardant suit)

So we spent the night there and woke up to a nice sunny day on Tuesday morning. Dennis was kind enough to show me how to do a valve adjustment while everyone was eating breakfast and then we were on our way.

Caron and I decided to continue on to Prince George (did someone say free oil change and air filter?) and THEN we would turn around and head back.

We get to Prince George and wait around in the 35C heat waiting for the busses to be ready. Somewhere in that time span, someone twisted our arms and we decided to head up to Chetwynd and camp with the group for another night. Mobely Lake provincial park was quite nice and there were even quite a few non-tour VW's there (this is usually how we guage the 'goodness' of any area).

We were up early the next morning and after coffee Caron and I really did head back home. It was really sad driving alone with nobody to talk to on the CB.

We drove over to Alberta via Dawson Creek and Grand Prairie. Then we headed south and spent the night in Jasper National Park. We arrived at the campground just as they were closing up for the night so the ranger told us to take a site and pay in the morning. In the morning there was nobody in the booth so we waited the obligatory 2.34 seconds and then drove away with big grins on our faces.

We made good time back to Vancouver and even picked up 2 sunburnt and heat exhausted hitchikers in Kamloops. Turns out they had gotten a ride from some maniac in a VW bus the night before. He was showing them how not to drive on mountain roads and telling them stories of how many people die because they don't drive carefully.

About an hour before Vancouver in Chilliwack Lief's odometer rolled over to zero and we all cracked open juices and pops and toasted to his rebirth.

We wished we could have gone all the way to Inuvik but hopefully we'll be able to drive for a day or so with the California contingent when they leave Vancouver on the 13th or 14th. Anyone up for some surf in WA or OR?

It's been a good week!

-- +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Glen Buhlmann | "Saw it on the tube. Bought it on the phone. | | GB Computer Consulting | Now I'm home alone with a piece of crap." | | Vancouver, BC | --Neil Young | | '77 VW Westfalia | | +------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+ | http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/5288/ | +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+