Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Jul 1996 22:19:33 -0500
From:         bighouse@socomm.net (Ken Hooper)
Subject:      Re: Heads/GEX SAGA

>So first, we all start yelling about how GEX had better kiss Dave C's hiney >because there are hundreds watching, and now we knock them because they >do?? >Looks like a no-win situation for them. Come on, give them a little credit >for doing the right thing, even if for the wrong reason.

Nobody knocked GEX because they *did* replace the heads. I think people strongly suspect that Dave *only* got his heads replaced because GEX figured out that there were hundreds watching. That's good, I suppose--at least for listys.

But it has the smell of doing the right thing because you got caught doing the wrong one, and only for that reason.

Better than not replacing the heads, is replacing them for the wrong reason. I agree. But better than having to replace the heads (as you note) is not making shoddy heads in the first place. This is the point that shouldn't be submerged. All these problems, for us and for GEX both, go away if the goods are good.

>If they only make the occasional mistake and acknowledge it >>when they do, > >They just DID acknowledge it.

No, they didn't. They're pretending there's really nothing wrong with their heads and engines. They're playing rhetorical games. They're demanding credit for the times they *don't* screw up, which is pretty audacious--that's what they get paid for.

If we were just muscle-flexing, it might be a no-win situation for them. But the experience of many of the people on these lists suggests that GEX's quality record is abysmal. There's an easy way for them to win this that makes everybody happy. Make decent products. Do what you said you were going to do, maybe even more. They aren't doing that, and that's why they're getting an earful--not because we just feel like shagging somebody.

--Ken 68 Westy