Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Jul 1996 23:52:29 -0700
From:         natasha!kombi@adobe.mv.us.adobe.com
Subject:      That '87 for sale in Los Banos

I drove through again (on my way home) and the shop that has this thing was open. I spoke with the owner for a bit (showed off my bus, too) and looked at the bus he's selling.

It is an '87 Wolfsburg Westfalia Weekender, with 69,000 on the odometer.

The previous owner (from Texas) lost a water pump out in the very hot cental valley of California, had the bus towed to Los Banos, and sold it rather than repair it. Apparently, he was planning on selling it as soon as he got to San Francisco, but he didn't quite make it. All repaired, now, and through smog checks. The shop went through it somewhat, apparently, and did the brakes and a rear hub bearing as well. The previous owner left all the camping stuff in the bus -- not the VW stuff, but a coleman stove, little charcoal grill, bag of charcoal, etc.

The bus was real clean, particularly inside. Outside is quite clean as well, but it seems to have some bodywork on the driver's side. The vertical seam there was rusty, and touched up. I suspect that it was hit there and badly repaired some time ago, with rust starting to show through the bad repair, and bad touch-up paint applied to hide this... This was basically all I saw wrong on this bus though.

He's asking $7900, and the place is called "Foreign Auto" in Los Banos. The owner (Steve?) was real nice.

This guy also has a diesel Vanagon L. Not running (although driven to the shop) it has a damaged (but he thinks repairable) one-year-old 1.9l engine. Otherwise in excellent shape. This guy does not plan to fix the car -- not enough return on this one. He wants $1000 for it as it sits -- said "make an offer". The 1.9 engine, fixed, might make a pretty nice pusher for a van. The old 1.6 was pretty anemic.

Today was fun. I got to see a 1987 DoubleCab (and discovered the same interior appointments my Kombi has) and got to show mine off to two people that actually seemed to appreciate it. I still want to find and examine a TriStar...

Does anybody out there know if there were any Single-cab Syncros ever produced for Canada? Any of you Canadians ever see any single-cabs for sale, or in wrecking yards? Still toying with the idea of converting a single-cab to syncro...

malcolm