Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jul 1996 21:01:01 -0500
From:         dschimpf@fdl.fdldotnet.com (David Schimpf)
Subject:      78 bus making strange sounds at startup

We looked at a 78 bus today. A guy had had a sign in the window of his porch for at least a year. I ride my bicycle past the house everyday on the way to work, and finally we decided to give the owner a call. The bus is in pretty good shape all around: no rust-through, very little surface rust, all cylinders at 160-165, steering good, shifting good, working gas heater, cv boots intact, heat exchangers good, interior in excellent shape, 78k miles. The battery pan is rusted out. For a rust belt bus (Wisconsin), the body is in remarkable good shape. No oil leaks. It hasn't been driven since 1991 (it has the plates to prove it).

The only problem we saw was that it made a noise that sounded like valves slightly malfunctioning at startup for a few minutes. It starts, but runs a little roughly. After a few minutes, it runs fine. The seller said that it did this only at startup for a few minutes, not when the engine was accelerating or climbing a hill. Also note that the engine has very good compression. What might this be? Might it have something to do with the hydraulic valve lifters? Is this a major problem?

Except for this problem, the bus seems to be a go for us. I'd like to tell Joel to change the stats, but I'd also like to know exactly what this problem might be before we buy it. Our feeling is that unless this is a major problem, we're going to buy it.

David Schimpf