Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Aug 1996 00:34:16 -0300 (ADT)
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Digital format 'Bentley' project (longish)

Hi Folks,

This is a proposal to generate the V@L digital equivalent to the Bentley Vanagon manual. It would be an undertaking that marks the list as an entity, the publishing of a book. Such a digital manual then needs to be made available on a website. We number almost 300 owners, all in need of a solid affordable repair/reference manual, and we're all computer geeks (err... more or less, you decide :) ). I welcome all feedback on this idea, best off/on list?, and I will summarise after a couple of weeks. And the project would also be dropped if enough negative comments came back, or for lack of interest.

What I propose is that as many interested/willing/able members as possible each pick a section of the table of contents of Bentley/Haynes/?? manual and compile the information in digital format. Copyright infringement is to be avoided! This would be done by using our own illustrations, either fresh video'd/photo-scanned or drawn by hand/CAD and our own text, encompassing both the details in the main manuals plus the V@L 'practical' experience. Think of the existing manuals as templates, we need to cover the same material and more, but in our own 'style'. The sections chosen should be ones which the writer has had some working exposure to, and/or is about to undertake and can vid/photo the stages. Big difference between working on a sparkling fresh new vanagon like Bentley, and one with 10+ years of wear and tear all over.

I see a lot of repeat advice, or referrals to the archives for help, while having a website repair manual 24hrs a day would really boost the selfhelp level before the list was asked for the really nasty details. I try to help off-list, so I wonder how many others are doing the same, at the same time. Stuff like Westy fridges is not even in the manuals, so we can address sections the 'market' needs, not just what is in the manuals.

Given so many list members the work could be well spread out, and the amount of work required to do one short section isn't too daunting, perhaps 3-5 pages worth of copy/illus. The nice thing also is that the sections can be put up when ready, and subject to review too. The most crucial item would seem to be the FI system (like Raid, stops'em dead!), and the tips this list provides just don't appear in any manuals. A buyers inspection guide with illustrations would help a lot of wannabussers too. Ditto for body repairs.

Any thoughts on this? If it meets with general approval then I will type in a table of contents similar to Bentley and interested parties could sign up to produce a section. Once that's worked out, just proceed at your own pace, as individuals or in groups. Having a Bentley or other for reference would help, but we can be pretty innovative at times. :) Any offers for a home for the Digital V@L Manual would be welcome, or tell me how I can best set it up here. I have ready access to hardware for loading VHS/8/Hi-8 video/frames into PCs or for flatbed scanning, but I don't use it often (enough), here's a chance. Java Ho?

Tim Smith

Next project.... Eurovans!