Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 03 Aug 1996 13:51:15 -0500
From:         dbax@mindspring.com (Donald Baxter)
Subject:      Blue LEDs and cheap rebuilt alternators

I suppose I'll be the guinea pig for the list. I bought the $89 alternator for my '85 Vanagon, installed in less than an hour. The Bosch rebuilt was $180 from NOPI and only carried a 2 year warranty. The no-name alternator that I bought is warranteed for life. Not too much of a risk here but time will tell--I could be replacing them yearly. So far, not only do the LEDs go out immediately after starting, but they don't flicker at me after the initial rev that used to make the lights go out completely when I still had the old alternator installed. It was the lights coming back on after revving up the engine that concerned me.

>Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 12:30:58 PDT >From: "Shawn Wright" <VWNUT@smus.bc.ca> >To: vanagon@lenti >Subject: Re: Blue LED's?, Valve adjustment procedure, buslust >Message-ID: <10DFBB51054@smuslabs.smus.bc.ca> > >On 31 Jul 96 at 14:42, William Abbott wrote: > >> >> Yep, 80's VW products had something Blue that looked like an LED >> for high-beams. I always intended to get a 'spare' and see what it was- >> my guess is a lightbulb with a blue plastic cover. If its an LED, it'll >> turn ON in micro-seconds, if an incandesent lamp, milliseconds, so if >> you're sharp-eyed, or can make a highspeed film or video of it >> you can tell without sawing the thing apart. An led will conduct only >> one way (its a diode after all) while a lamp will conduct both ways. >>

The blue LEDs are indeed incandescent. VW used to use a red led for high beams until NHTSA made them stop (my '81 Dasher/Passat had a red led indicator). I was told that there was no such thing as a blue LED and this is why VW had to go with the bulb and plastic cover. There is a replacement procedure in some of the Bentley manuals for these.

Donald Baxter _________________________________________________________ Donald Baxter Atlanta, Georgia 404.874-3292 (home) <dbax@mindspring.com> 404.447.6831 (work) <dab1@jhk.com>

_________________________________________________________ "Forget Tara, Atlanta is what you would have if Detroit got its act Together."

--Paul Goldberger, "Atlanta is Burning," New York Times