Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Aug 1996 11:56:44 -0700
From:         Mark McCulley <raven@halcyon.com>
Subject:      87 now has round eyes

I "upgraded" my 87 Westfalia to the old style (pre-86) round 7" headlights per Joel Walker's suggestion. Installed Hella H4 lights, now I can see those possums in the road with my low beams. Dramatic improvement in nighttime driveability, I think. Changes the look of the van, too, not many syncros out there with the round headlights. Cost about $200 all told, guess I could have bought some nice Hella aux low beams for less money, but I really like the low-beam cutoff pattern of the H4 bulbs. Here's a summary of costs:

$25 - pair of round headlight mounting assemblies (used) $50 - upper grille (used) $125 - pair of Hella high performance headlights with H4 bulbs (new) $0 - pair of headlight connector pigtails from junkyard

Project took about 2 hours to complete. First I replaced the rectangular headlight assemblies with the round ones. They screwed right on with no modifications. Then I spliced in the connector pigtails for the round lights, leaving the original connectors intact in case I ever want to go back to the stock rectangular lights. I soldered all connections and covered with some shrink-wrap tubing. Dropped in the round lights and snapped on the grille.

There are a couple of details left to complete, but they aren't critical. The 87 body only has 3 of the 5 receptacles for fastening the grille. I cut off two receptacles from an junkyard 85 and will rivet them in the proper place on my van. For now, though, the grille feels solidly connected with 3 fasteners.

-Mark McCulley 87 syncro Westfalia with round eyes