Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Aug 1996 21:20:12 -0400
From:         dgeiger@k2nesoft.com (Don Geiger)
Subject:      Report on first engine removal

Hi all. Just in case anyone's interested, I thought I'd report on how I'm making out on my first engine removal.

Background: '80 Vanagon Westy, air-cooled. No garage. Working outside in driveway. No experience. Never done much auto repairs, basic maintenance only. Available books and this list encouraged me to do this. No help. Due to demands of work and family, I find it hard to plan when I'll be able to work on it. Besides, most of my friends think I'm nuts. Maybe their right.

I had no real problem making the basic disconnections of electrical and fuel lines in preparation for removal. Except the fuel lines were kinda hard, brittle and cracking. Figured I'd have to replace them anyhow. Oh yea, I'd wanted to remove the exhaust first to make things lighter, but just couldn't get to all the bolts too well from under there, so left it all on. I also found out one of the reasons why my heat was not too great last winter - the left side flapper box was rusted out on top and wasn't flapping too well. Another thing to replace.

I put the rear end (the van, the van!) up on jack stands. I used a floor jack to support the engine. But working alone on one of these engines is not a good idea, especially for a first-timer. This sucker is heavy! Very hard to maneuver and lower. I lowered the jack too much, too soon and got the engine and trans. jammed up on the lower retaining studs. And the rear of the engine was stuck under the rear of the engine compartment! Couldn't go up, and couldn't go down. :( Finally got it, but I think I might have put a slight bend in one of the studs. :((

Anyway, I was worried about the fuel injection system being kinda hard (complicated), but it was really pretty easy! (Label everything!) My troubles were with rusted bolts and screws on the tin and exhaust. What a pain! Stuck bolts and stripped screw heads. But thanks to the list I learned about Easy Outs. I still have a temp sender which appears to be welded onto the tin where it goes through near cylinder no. 3. Haven't figured that one out yet.

Oh yea, I also found out that my engine mounts were in bad shape. The engine bearer mounting bracket was broken, as were two of the rubber connectors. Another thing to replace. :(

Oh well. If I can get this last piece of tin off I'll finally be ready to get into the actual engine. That's the part I'm really looking forward to.... I guess I am nuts.

I'll let you know how it all goes.