Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 05 Aug 96 18:14:26 -0500
From:         "W.R. Transue" <trans@castle.net>
Subject:      What's a REASONABLE Oil Leak (!)

OK gang, I'm contemplating whether its worth my while to tough out an oil leak or get to it and just fix it. Here's my story:

First, I'm relocating to NJ and most of my tools etc. are in Colorado, so I'm limited withy what I can personally take on right now.

I've got a new '87 Westy Syncro which needs a few things addressed, one of which is the oil leak. Personally, I'd like to wait a few months and get settled in a new house w/ my tools and do a rebuild (selas, etc.). So I'm worried that I'll spend this money for a mechanic to fix this leak, and just end stripping the engine down in a few months anyway.

The bus drops a small bit of oil (primarily after long runs when the engine is fully heated) leaving a 3-4" radius spot after sitting for several hours. Barely noticable on the oil stick (maybe a quart every 2,000 miles or so).

It's a pain leaving spots, but given my experience with my old 77, a certainly not uncommon occurance.

The leak appears to be coming from between the engine & manual tranmission seal (though after a recent oil change to 20/50 its seems to have gotten better.. would a lighter oil have seeped more??).

So given all you've read, what would you do? Am I risking anything by not taking care of this now?

Thanks for any help (and sorry its such a bonehead question.. just literally contemplating my repair logistics).

Bill

'87 Westy Syncro