Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Aug 1996 23:46:16 -0500
From:         cmoran@cswnet.com (Colin A Moran)
Subject:      86 Square headlights

Hello all!! I have been following the headlight upgrade thread with interest. I like the looks of the square headlights, and wanted to improve their performance. I remember one of the posts that stated that going to a higher wattage bulb did little to improve the low beams. I started to wonder why. I removed my headlights and removed the bulb assembly. I found a cylindrical shield that covered most of the bulb. There was a hole in the end that was slightly larger than the bulb. There seemed to be little of the bulb exposed to the reflector. I have seen these shields on other round headlights. The differance seems to be that on the VW lights, most of the bulb is shielded, where as on the other lights only the front of the low beam fillement is shielded. I removed the sides of the cylindrical shield with a set of needle nose pliers. I retained the shield infront of the bulb, I don't want to blind on comming drivers. I have noticed an increased light output. The beam is much stronger on a horizontal plane. It realy lights up the sides of the road. I hane not had any oncomming drivers flash me, so I'll assume that I have not created a hazard by removing the shields. This seems to be a cheap way of improving the square headlights. If anyone has any comments on this modification please let me know.