Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Aug 1996 09:53:11 +0200
From:         wrm@ccii.co.za (Wouter de Waal)
Subject:      Re: 5-/6-cyl in VW vans, bell housing numbers

Hi all

Patrick asks:

> i am interested in seeing if you know if there is a south african version > of parts micro fiche and or an official repair manual for the SA version > of this vehicle. i would like to try to figure the differences an

I'm sure there's a fiche, but they're unobtainable, except if you're a dealer. No manual, I actually saw the thick green USA version (sez 'Vanagon' on the cover) for sale the other day.

> possibility of creating a list of parts necessary to do a conversion.....

Somebody on your side of the sea would stand a better chance of getting this right. Small things like what side of the road you drive on... :-)

> i own a 86' crewcab transporter (vanagon truck), which has a 2.1 > wasserboxer....however the audi 5 would be an excellent conversion, > plus my truck has several inches of extra clearence in the engine > coompartment....

I would say you need the bellhousing, a custom exhaust system, some wiring and fuel pipe & pump stuff to sort out, no problem.

> are these VW's still being produced in your country?

Yup.

> do you know of availability of microfiche or repair books which > show the engine/trans/etc... setup for the SA version vans?

Not outside of dealer workshops, no.

> are you interested in helping create a list of parts necessary > to do a conversion...

I can help if required, but I don't have the time or inclination to drive any of it. Remember - I drive a VW conversion with a Type IV engine - I only read vanagon@lenti to further my education :-)

W -- Wouter de Waal Phone : +27 21 683 5490 Development Engineer Fax : +27 21 683 5435 CCII Systems Kenilworth, South Africa