Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Aug 1996 01:47:50 -0400
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: trepidations

In a message dated 96-07-31 23:49:32 EDT, rmcgee@trib.com (Rob McGee) writes:

>My first two know tasks will be to replace the thermostat (Is that a big >job? I know it wasn't that tough twenty years ago in my Dodge) and fixing >the air conditioning (compressor?, again, major problem?).

Welcome to the Vanagon community. I don't think that you'll find many (if any) on the Vanagon list that will suggest that you've made a mistake. That said, any 11 year old vehicle is going to need a little care from time to time.

Regarding the thermostat: While changing the thermostat is a quick and simple procedure, that's not the whole story. Water cooled Vanagons such as ours require a special procedure to remove air from the cooling system after it's been opened, like when replacing a thermostat. While the procedure isn't rocket science, don't replace the thermostat until you know the procedure. Also, don't let a shop do the work unless they know about this required procedure. I don't have the procedure available to me right know or I'd include it. Basically it involves jacking the front of the van up 16" higher than the rear, opening a bleeding bolt, running the engine, etc, etc, etc. I'd buy a Bentley repair manual ($70 to $90) if I were you.

Regarding the A/C compressor: Replacing the compressor is no big deal either, but finding a replacement may be a little bit of work. If your 85 is like my 87 & 88, it uses a Sanden 510 compressor, which is in ample supply, but with a head that's not very common. You might need to use your old head on a new compressor to be able to attach it directly to your hoses. Be prepared to pay $28 to $40 per LB for the 2.5(??) Lbs of Freon (R12) you'll need to charge the system after replacement of the compressor. Also, unless your certain that all the Freon has already leaked out, don't open the system up yourself - take it to a shop that can properly remove the Freon and have it recycled. Make sure you get any leaks fixed befor recharging or you'll be buying a second batch (another $90) of Freon real soon.

Good luck, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg