Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 07 Aug 1996 14:02:31 -0600
From:         Jim Felix <felix@sisna.com>
Subject:      Re: RE : Gerry Skerbitz's fuel pump problems

Hi Gerry and fellow Listers

Gerry Skerbitz and I both have the same problem of fuel pump noise. My vanagon (Cherise) is a 1984. The fuel pump whines loudly, as if blocked or sucking in air bubbles.

To recap, I have - replaced the fuel pump and filter - checked the tank ventilation system (Thanks for the suggestion, Hahn Rossman) - checked the line from the tank to the filter for obstructions (Thanks for the suggestion, Joel Walker) - replaced the fuel pressure regulator - swapped out the fuel pump relay

Lacking further ideas and patience (I want to take Cherise to the Rocky Mountain Bluegrass Festival this weekend), I turned the problem over to the mechanic. He advised not to ignore the noise, that air in the line would definately shorten the life of the fuel pump.

He checked the output pressure of the fuel pump (fine at 90psi), and confirmed my suspicions of air in the fuel supply line. He dropped the tank for inspection. No major crud inside. He described the inside of the tank as having tubes that come from the fuel supply and return lines, arch up inside the tank, then arch back down to a central area in the tank bottom. His best guess is that the supply side tube is cracked, and that this is where the air is coming from. The only way to fix it is to cut open the tank, or replace it with a used one (that hopefully doesnt have the same problem!). I opted for the replacement option. I'll update you all when the new (old) tank is in.

Jim Felix felix@sisna.com Manitou Springs, Colorado, USA ---------------------------forwarded message follows---------------------------- At 10:09 AM 8/4/96 -0500, Gery Skerbitz wrote: >On Fri, 26 Jul 1996, Jim Felix wrote: >> So Steven (sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com) writes: >> >Speaking of problems, Gerry Skerbitz is concerned about his fuel pump >> >as it's making a whining noise because of air in the system. I recommended >> >that he 'bite the bullet' and just get one at the dealer as he has to >> >be in the bay area on Saturday. >> >> I am having the same problem with my 84 Westy. I did replace the fuel pump >> (ouch, $230!!) and filter, which had no impact on the whining noise. So I >> wouldn't rush right out and buy a fuel pump without doing some further >> investigation. > >I bought a Bosch pump in Sacramento and before installing it, I ran it >backwards into the tank to blow any crud away from that filter in there. >[it DID make it home, but I think it's still pumping air] >It seems obvious to me now that there IS crud in there and the only way I'm >going to resolve this is to drop the tank and empty it and REALLY clean it >somehow. Any hints as to the best way to scrub the inside of the tank would >be greatly appreciated. > >> I repeated this process last weekend, and saw hardly any flow out of the tank - >> barely even a trickle. By blowing are into, then sucking back out of the tank > >The odd things was that I had a REALLY good flow out of the tank BEFORE the >pump when I checked at one point. > >-- >Gerry >Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@med.umn.edu> U of MN Med School Admin 6-5379 >Home St. Paul,Ramsey County,Minnesota, USA > >