Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Aug 1996 16:45:44 -0400
From:         Rick Koller <rkoller@helix.nih.gov>
Subject:      fuel pump noise

Jim and Gerry, I had this very same situation in my '81. I took out the tank and cleaned it (it wasn't dirty inside) with alcohol and blew it out with compressed air through every tube and pipe I could see. I then replaced and tested all the parts Jim mentioned all for nought. The pump still whined so I finally got a different gas tank and it whined no more. An undamaged tank is hard to come by since the boneyards move the vans around with fork lifts and bend the bottom of the tank. A tank with a slight bend will sometimes work I tried two and the second tank (less bent) worked. One word of warning is that the fuel level sender float may sit up on one of these bends inside the tank and tell you that you have gas when in fact you don't. I know about that! I think that any year tank will work but you might have to change the filler pipe I had to do this with the later than '84 tank I tried. Good luck!

Rick Koller '90 syncro Westie '81 air Westie *************************************** Richard Koller Email: rkoller@helix.nih.gov Phone: 301-496-8414 ***************************************