Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Aug 1996 23:39:53 -0400
From:         DHaynes57@aol.com
Subject:      Re: GEX rebuild/tappets

In a message dated 96-08-07 22:47:24 EDT, royjm@resort.brecknet.com (Jared Roy) writes:

<< I have a GEX rebuilt engine also and I am wondering if the noise I am hearing is the Tappets as Douglas has discussed. The engine ticks occasionally when climbing. I was first told that it was the CV joints, but after close inspection the CV joints were found to be in good shape. I went for a second opinion and a well trusted shop said that they couldnt hear the ticking, it doesnt do it all the time, so he suggested that I use only 91 octane gas, previously I was using 85. SO I did this and the ticking has stopped for a month, then last week climbing a pass on the way to Steamboat the familiar tick returned.... ANy suggestions? And how much to replace the tappets? It is an 82 with hydraulic lifters...... >>

Ticking that is load related is not caused by the lifters. When the lifters go bad, it is usually apparent after engine startup. Load ticking is either caused by knock, leaky exhaust or I think in your case, heads that are coming loose after you get the engine very hot. The ticking is caused by combustion gases poping through the gap between the head and cylinder. If you can change the tick by changing the load(throttle), this is a definate possibility.

Dennis.