Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         01 Aug 96 10:48:56 PDT
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      Re: Extra long, or Vanalong

> John Wakefield wrote: > There's a final related issue I'd like to hear others address. I find > the Vanagon Westie to be the peak of some kind of hard to describe camper > continuum. I know of no better vehicle available, FOR ANY PRICE, suited

I have, as a matter of fact, been trying to locate a competitor to the Westi for a few years, just to see what I can find. Here's my undocumented, yet demented report: Here's the criteria:

Good ground clearance for off road use. Sleeping and seatbelts for 4 or more (I have 3 kids & a spouse). Decent power and handling, 4WD a bonus. Low height for off road/under tree clearance. Reasonabe cost.

Here are the results of 3 years of looking:

I found a 4WD Dodge small truck based camper that has adequate sleeping/belts, 4WD, lotsa power, tall fulltime (no-poptop) $48,000 yikes

A Dodge or Chevy full size van conversion done in Canada marketed in US (at least in WA state). Lotsa power, standing room where it's needed (kitchen only), various floor plans for sleeping for 2 - 4 plus. Same ground clearance as std van (read ok but not great). Non-pop top, but only about 6 inches higher than std van. Around $40,000, yikes again, a very nice conversion built for camping not a party van as are most US conversions. Includes toilet & shower!

Anybody else out there find anything else? Reinforced that the Westi is as good as it gets, for far less. If a big wad of $ dropped on me, I would find a Synchrowesti (dream) or just keep my '80 running (reality)

- Jeff '80 Westi