Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Aug 1996 17:11:52 -0400
From:         EdBuzz@aol.com
Subject:      Re: RE : Gerry Skerbitz's fuel pump problems

Gerry, I dont think the setup on the diesel is the same because the diesel would not need the evaporative venting that the gas tank would( those two grommets on top with the lines going to them. Im pretty sure that if you plug those lines and pressurize the tank with the guage on the feed line you will get an acurrate read.As I recall the return line just dumps into the top of the tank and the vent lines end at the top as well.When you pressurize the tank you could squirt soap solution around the vent and return lines to see if you have a crack,otherwise I think it would be air tight and you could eliminate that as a source. I believe the feed line inside the tank is a poly/butyl or PVC black line....Maybe it has split? I think you might be able to reach it with the sender out with a 3 finger claw tool I used to grab screws that fall in inaccessible places.I have seen where volvos and bmw pumps make a loud sound when the primary pump(boost pump)in the tank quits.It sounds like air in the system, but it will still run the engine, because the main pump will still produce pressure sufficient for injection.It seems that if your pressure is there and the vehicle doesnt misfire, that there is no compressible air in the line.The air would cause a misfire and corrupted spray pattern on the injector.How about splicing a temporary clear pvc 5/16" plastic line( the hard stuff you can get in the plg.dept at Home Depot) in the feed before and after the pump?Say 2" clamped on each end with miniclamps in series with the feed on each side of the pump.Then you could see if you truly have air in the line, and if it is coming in before or after the pump. Then you will know if it is air(you see it) and maybe rule out the tank altogether. II think I would give this a try....its cheap and the only downfall is a little gas spillage here and there as you substitute hoses.Let me know.

Ed Berroth 84 Westy Wolf 87 Stinkcrow