Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Aug 1996 12:37:33 PST
From:         kdlewis@juno.com (kenneth d lewis)
Subject:      Re:LED /Fan speed indicator

TWIMC: I have been mulling over this very idea of adding some radiator fan speed indicators. Allow me to share the (unexpected) results of my prototype(here forth to be known as the Lewis mod).After studying the schematics I formed a plan that satisfied my four basic project guidelines: 1>minimal parts 2>cleverness of design 3>ease of assembly 4>effectiveness

Step one;I only used a momentary contact pushbutton with built in LED , four wires and push on terminals to connect the previous two items.

Step two;With the above parts I was hoping to activate high speed on the radiator fan and monitor the automatic hi/lo speed of fan motor with bright/dim of LED by judiciously selecting its series resistance.To accomplish this I focused my work on the second stage radiator fan relay. I removed the relay cover and drilled a hole in it for wire egress. Then I soldered the four wires to the terminals inside the relay; 85,86,87 & 30 on my vehicle. I mounted the LED/switch in the blank under the emergency flasher rocker switch.Two of the wires were connected so upon switch closure the relay was energized, hence activating rad fan to hi.The positive lead of the LED I connected to the output of the relay i.e. the hi input of the fan.I found this wire could monitor both hi and low fan speeds;6 volts=low, 12volts=high. The final wire was ground and went to the resistor which was connected to the negative lead of the LED.

Step three:it was easy for me to assemble and minimal impact on existing hardware.

Step four; testing.To initiate hi/lo fan speed I jumpered the proper wires at the thermostatic switch plug. The LED displayed a corresponding bright/dim!! The switch also operated the hi speed function!! Everything worked as planned the first time,how many times does that happen!?!Now for the unexpected results.During the first test drive, upon reaching around 40mph, I noticed the LED was on!How could this be?The engine was cold and the temp needle had not even moved!While pondering this I stopped for a red light and it went off?!?I once again got up to speed and it came on again.Have you figured it out?The fan was free wheeling from the force of the air being pushed through it, turning the motor and causing it to behave as a generator!! As I see it this makes the LED a dual purpose indicator: A> hi/lo rad fan indicator(now only effective at slow speeds). B> Rad fan bearing condition indicator! If the bearings start drying out and stiffening up the freewheeling effect would be reduced.

Anyway, I'll keep evaluating it and try to keep you updated.

Ken Lewis kdlewis@juno.com

86Doublecab pickup 85GL 60 356(almost finished) 61 AH Sprite (for sale)