Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Aug 1996 13:05:43 -0400
From:         "Richard Alexand Palmer" <rapalmer@eos.ncsu.edu>
Subject:      Bus Trek Vol V (Colorado)

Howdy there. After we left New Mexico, we crossed over into Colorado. I really dig the design of the New Mexico state flag, and I'd been looking for a sticker of it while we were there ( I loooooooooooooove stickers!) Interestingly enough, I found my NM sticker *after* we got into Colorado... Anyway, as we were getting gas at the station where I found my sticker, I noticed oil under the engine. Not just drips, but about a 10 inch puddle, and this under an engine whose seals had under 500 miles on them. This caused a quick discussion, and the oil cooler was called into question, as it looked like the oil was running down from where it sits. So, the helpful gentleman wearing a really cool, yet highly offensive shirt (ok, I'll tell you. It said "P.E.T.A. - People for the Eating of Tasty Animals" Shudder, cringe, yet kinda funny as well...) told us that there was a Wal-Mart 2 miles up the road, where we could get more oil. After topping off the oil, we headed to Wally World. We pulled into the parking lot, and headed in to get a case of Castrol 20w-50. As it was 7:00 pm, we decided there was plenty of daylight to do the job, so we yanked the engine in the parking lot. After removing the fan shroud, we discovered to our dismay that it was not the oil cooler, rather it was the front main seal. It had been leaking so badly, that oil was blowing everywhere, which had confused us. So, we began to put the engine back in, as we had already used our extra seal. Meanwhile, a fine, upstanding gentleman, early 30's, pulled up in a Sport Utility Vehicle. As we talked, we learned that he had done the Alaska Highway in a '66 bus years ago. We all felt a sense of hope, as this former hippie was now a fully productive member of adult society. He was, actually, a lawyer, and gave us his card, in case we ran into any problems. A nice fellow indeed... Anyway, we decided we could limp the last hundred or so miles to Boulder, checking the oil regularly, and then replace the seal there. We were headed into Boulder since Nicole lived there for a year, and her sister was still there. Upon our arrival, we saw that indeed, it is a haven for late models and Vanagons. I have never seen so many busses driving around town. We parked the busses across from her sister's apartment, and decided to get parts the next day. Recycle Auto is a big VW parts place there, and Nicole knew one of the guys that works there. We picked up new *German* official VW front main seals and O-rings for really cheap, and set about finding a parking lot to work in. Once we did, Neil and I proceeded to pull the engine and replace everything with no problems. It took us about an hour and a half, as by then we had gotten *really* good ad pulling the engine. I was quite pleased as we headed back to the apartment. Pearl Street Mall is in central Boulder, and it is definately the hip place to be. Pearl Street is closed off to traffic for about 4 blocks, and instead has grass and trees and such. There were musicians, magicians, and street performers everywhere. We set up shop and sold several t-shirts that I had printed for the trip, as well as some hand made jewelry and dresses. We met some really nice folks there, and made some spending money as well, which was really nice. I even drug out the ol' banjo and played a bit. The more people we met, the more I realized how clueless some people are about their busses. I talked to several people that had just bought a bus, and driven a thousand or so miles to Boulder, and wondered why they weren't running right. As there was plenty of street parking where we were, I told folks to drive by for some help and instruction. Well, after a couple days, as word got around, there were soon 6 busses lined up. I changed folks' oil, bled brakes, and in general ran a clinic for clueless bus owners. Some people wanted to learn, while others were disappointed to find they would actually have to put something into their busses. The most frightening bus I saw was a '74 with NO engine tin. None. The girl had had it for several months, and had no idea if the oil had ever been changed. Her brakes were horrible (I had to hook up the vacuum booster) and when I did her valves, they were all super tight. I hope she has since taken better care of the bus, or I'm sure it's not with us any more... :( Some others, though, were thrilled to learn about their trusty steeds. I helped a girl from Massachusetts change oil, bleed brakes, do valves, and the like, and she was eager to learn. I have a lot of hope for her '71, which was in really good shape. The only incident we had with the police also happened then. As I mentioned, there were 6 busses all lined up on the street, and we were all living in them. One morning, after cooking breakfast on the trusty Coleman, an officer drove up, drove along the sidewalk to where we were, and got out. This was about 10 am, and she said she had a report about some sort of left handed cigarettes. Well, of course we hadn't, so we all began laughing, and she left rather quickly. Boulder does seem to be pretty laid back about not hassling people for just hanging around. Just don't try to skateboard anywhere... Well, after a week, we knew it was time to head out to Indiana, where we had tickets for the Furthur Festial at Deer Creek. We said our goodbyes, reminded folks to change their oil regularly with 20w-50, and always use premium gas, and headed out to cross that vast ocean called Kansas. We turned mile 3000 outside Boulder, which is about our halfway point for the trip. Suffice it to say that the trip across Kansas was rather uneventful. Likewise Missouri and Illinois. We were staying happily at rest areas, and cooking along the way. We made good time getting to Indiana, which is where I shall leave off until next week, when we meet fellow Listmember "Captain" Jim Kirk... Anyway, If you live around North Carolina, please join us this Saturday at Lake Jordan State Park... Til then...

-- Poor Richard

"I spend half my life explaining to Christians why I'm a Deadhead, and the other half explaining to Deadheads why I'm a Christian." _______ .--------------/_______\-----. `/""""/""""/|""|'|""||""| '\ Richard Palmer rapalmer@unity.ncsu.edu / / / |__| |__||__| | /----------=====================| '67 Walkthrough Pop-top, the Wild Goose | \ /V\ / _. | |()\ \W/ /() _ _ | | \ / / \ / \ | _-( ) =C========C==_| ) |--------| ) |==] _-{_}_) \_\_/__.. \_\_/_ \_\_/ \_\_/__.__.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/eos/users/r/rapalmer/www/ Give me the simple life.