Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Aug 96 13:36:16 -0500
From:         "W.R. Transue" <trans@castle.net>
Subject:      Cracked Syncro Clutch Housing

Well I think I found my oil leak, and I could really use some advice.

I had my engine steam cleaned to try to pinpoint where this troublesome oil leak was originating (PS: as a hint to newbies, this is a real useful exercise which can prevent a lot of guesswork, I'd highly recommend a steam cleaning to try to pin point where a leak or any other trouble might be). I watched things for a few days, and here's what I found:

Background info:

1987 Westy Syncro, 4 speed

Symptom: After stopping engine, persistent oil drops would fall from near the engine/clutch/transmission junction. Seemed to be worse after engine had worked a while at full heat. No noticeable drop in engine oil.

Found:

Two small cracks in the clutch housing, directly behind the starter motor mount. One crack is extremely small (and probably doesn't extend inside the housing). The other is a larger crack (I couldn't really see how big, with what appears to be a small chunk missing, right on the edge where the housing and the engine meet. The crack is on the top/left of the housing (looking at the vehicle from the front.

Questions:

1) The oil leak is not a steady flow, but rather drips. How serious is this overall, and what are the risks I am taking?

2) I assume the clutch housing is lubricated with gear oil. Is this the rubber screw cap I see on the back of the housing (which you need an Allen wrench to remove) where you fill the oil?

3) How tough will it be to get a replacement housing? What sources should I investigate (VW,aftermarket, used?)?

4) How big a job is it to replace the housing?

5) What do you think would cause such a crack? Does the starter motor location have any bearing?

I guess the good news is that the steam cleaning has not turned up any other troublesome stuff at this point. All other seals appear to be OK (rear oil seal in 3 way pully probably should be replaced. Some minor oil leakage).

Thanks in advance for any advice (I'm slightly freaking but I keep telling myself it could be worse!)

Bill

'87 Westy Syncro