Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Aug 96 16:27:44 -0500
From:         "W.R. Transue" <trans@castle.net>
Subject:      Re: Cracked Syncro Clutch Housing

> Date: Monday, 12-Aug-96 03:15 PM > > From: Tim Smith \ Internet: (smitht@unb.ca) > To: W.R. Transue \ Internet: (trans@castle.net) > > Subject: Re: Cracked Syncro Clutch Housing > > >Well I think I found my oil leak, and I could really use some advice. > > >Symptom: > >After stopping engine, persistent oil drops would fall from near the > >engine/clutch/transmission junction. Seemed to be worse after engine had > >worked a while at full heat. No noticeable drop in engine oil. > > so it's gear oil? Smells a bit different from engine, and thicker.

Haven't smelled it yet. The consistency is more like motor oil (lighter than gear oil) but I'l do the smell check!

Its definetly the clutch housing thats cracked. Its a real small, non fracture type crack (though possibly a sign of stress for sure). And it is on the engine as opposed to the trans side of the housing (directly behind the starter motor).

> > Do you have a Bentley (or any VW manual) to see the engine-trans assembly > layout and verify what component is cracked/leaking (your trans? =:O ).

Got it. Did it. Even have the T-shirt!! Seriously, that was the first thing I did. The thing that confused me on the oil issue is the Bently's shows an oil drain on the clutch housing.

> > The Syncro trans has a long black hard plastic vent tube that pokes into the > engine compartment, about 1/4" diam, mine ends under lid rim at right upper > corner (nearest airmeter box) I've heard of Syncro trans getting water in , > then whipping it into a foam with the oil which all pushes out the vent tube. > The extra water also makes the oil foam more anyhow, due to higher level and > splashing. Maybe drain and refill trans carefully, then watch for drips again. > This has worked for one member I read of.

Hmm. OK. I'll check that too (didn't see any tell tail signs of oil from any vent tube, but you never know...

> > The JDWeld epoxy will seal up cracks in trans etc, is made for automotive > applications, so it may be a cheap fix, as long as it is not a structural crack > that will keep growing, then you need to weld it. Around the starter it may be > structural, due to starter torque. I would weld it rather than go parts > shopping, find a bigger machine/welding shop that does a lot of aluminium > welding.

Thats a great suggestion! Right now its such a small crack and since I assumed that oil was in the clutch housing, if I fixed the crack I'd fix my oil leak. I think the housing may be weldable (which will prevent a long and expensive parts search). But I still have to figure out the leak problem!

> good luck, keep posting. tim smith

With this vehicle, posting won't be a problem :) :)

Bill

'87 Westy Syncro --------