Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Aug 1996 07:43:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Mike Randleman <mrandle@smtp.gaston.cc.nc.us>
Subject:      Re: NC Camping Report

Richard,

The Lake Jordan weekend sounded great. I cannot wait to bring Sam ('78 Westy) for introductions to other VW campers. I debated whether to strike out to the lake, but am still smelling some gas odor of undetected origin so decided not to risk it.

I decided instead to drive Sam up to the Galax Fiddlers' Convention (61st Annual), which is much closer to home. Things went real well until I turned onto Highway 89 and started up the mountain. Around the very first curve I came up behind an 18-wheeler full of gravel, and had to follow him up the four or five mile climb up the mountain. Having no choice, I simply sweated bullets waiting for Sam to blow up as we lugged up the mountain (too fast for 1st gear, too slow for 2nd). Well, surprise of surprises, Sam chugged up the mountain just fine (no overheating at all!!!)

I was curious to see how many other VW's would be camped at the campground, and was greatly dismayed to see only 2 (a white late model Vanagon, and an old orange splitty with purple eyebrows over the headlights). Seems to me that in past years I saw many campers up there, maybe we are becoming an endangered species?

Please let me know your plans for futher gatherings. I will try to have Sam in shape to come down next time.

Mike Randleman Gaston College Dallas, NC '78 Westy ("Yosemite Sam")