Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Aug 1996 19:28:08 -0400
From:         "adam r. marcotte" <marcotte@norwich.net>
Subject:      '84 Westy: Broken down in NY...HELP!

Hey all! Betty finally died @ 175,000 plus miles in Fredonia NY, south of Buffalo. I'm 10,000 miles into my x-country trip and have been suffering without my vanagon list since June.

Betty's Symptons: water temp light began flashing, gauge needle failed. We stopped immediately and checked coolant. Refill tank boiling over. Coasted to a parking lot and let engine cool. Checked for leaks in radiator; level was low. Oil level was OK, but as soon as engine turns over, the light flashes amd temp rises; white smoke out of tailpipe, awful smell, sounds bad.

I have talked to a few mechanics. Diagnosis: head gasket. :-( I'm willing to have a new/rebuilt engine put in (I have no choice since I have to go home). Recommendations for help? AAA will tow me to Buffalo, but I'm not comfortable with that unless I get list approval/advice for a way to go about this endeaver. I miss this list and can't wait to catch up on what's happening. Once all is settled, I will tell the tale of a wonderful yet turbulent adventure. This breakdown unfortunately ends the trip 1/2 way through, but I can't complain with the amazing amoung of mileage on Betty.

Being stranded and all, I am communicating through a friend near Ithaca, NY -- please reply to him DIRECTLY (as well as the list) since he is not a member. I'll be checking in periodically. E-mail can be sent to marcotte@norwich.net

Elizabeth (formally of Burlington, VT, now residing in Portland OR, currently stranded in Fredonia, NY.

PS. Payphone near parking lot is: 716.673.9827 Adam R. Marcotte http://www.norwich.net/~marcotte/home.html

NEW OVCS web address: http://www.norwich.net/~ovcs