Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         14 Aug 1996 11:39:19 -0700
From:         "Harvey Chao" <Harvey_Chao@smtp.svl.trw.com>
Subject:      Re: Sigh... No More Vanagon

After many many years of carb fueled vehicles and a diesel Vanagon, about 7 years ago I bought a used FI car. It took a while to learn enough to basically understand how it (at least theoretically) was supposed to work, what and where the sensors were and how they input to the computer and what they were there for and after a number of stops, starts, tows, and repairs, it settled down to be a pretty good starting and running machine better than any carb fueled machine I ever had.

My general observation on FI vs. carbs. is that, properly running, FI beats carbs all around on starting, drivability (especiall cold and during warm up), fuel economy, and retaining emissions requirements. That said - when FI is "sick" life is a LOT tougher for the DIYer !! You need the technical info, some test equipment, and an understanding of how the system is set up and what the various signals do. The issue is probably one of complexity and reliability. In my experience, Carbs tend to be simpler and have fewer ways to fail, but the price is that they can't meter the fuel as accurately or tailor it as precisely to provide the optimum mixture at any given instant and running condition. FI, on the other hand is much more sophisticated and can better give the exact best mixture at any given time -- except have greater complexity and more parts, so there are more things to fail or go out of tolerance.

In the end, bottom line, in my book I'll go with the FI.

For Your Information dcp'90