Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Aug 1996 23:56:42 -0400
From:         DHaynes57@aol.com
Subject:      Re: FRAM specualtion re pressure

In a message dated 96-07-31 01:27:39 EDT, VWnut@smus.bc.ca writes:

<< Dennis,

I thought the bypass valve also served to prevent overly high oil presure when cold? Is this not the case? Just wondering - in cold weather (30-40f) using 20w50 I will get 100-120 psi of oil pressure during the first few minutes of driving. This is with a VW filter - I have not used anything else since adding the gauge, so I don't know if the bypass valve has any effect.

>> The bypass or actually relief valve in the engine controls the oil pressure. It does this by allowing oil to escape out of the pressure system when it exceeds a certain level. As an oil filter only has an inlet and an outlet, both connected to the "pressure" part of the system there is no way it can control system pressure. It would actually need a third port to do that. The pressure relief or bypass is used to bypass the filter element in case of clogging or during some unusual conditions. For example, during extremely cold weather, the oil may not be avble to flow through the element fast enough so the bypas would open so that the bearings would get oil. Also, a good filter will trap some water. If enough water gets trapped and freezes, it would block the filter until it melted. This is why the sump screens on type 1 engines have that little spring set up that lets the screen go down. Those early engines ran cool and condensation would build up and collect at the bottom of the block, especially if car was run for short distances in winter. I hope this gives some insigt to filter bypases. BTW, most filter bypasses are set at somwhere between 12 and 18 psi. If you have this pressure drop in any VW, you have a real dirt problem.

Dennis.