Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Aug 96 14:36:39 -0400
From:         Dr Tim Baines <tsbaines@mit.edu>
Subject:      1983 Vanagon

Hello all

First, I'd like to thank all those who sent me advice on my vanagon's engine rattle and compression. On the basis of these comments, I believe that I have a better feel for the engine condition and consequences of failure. Therefore, and I have decided to go ahead with the purchase.

As far as treatment is concerned, well I think this van has spent some time standing and so I'll change the oil (I've noted the points about oil type and lifters) and run it for a while before investigating the compression issue further. Just in case the problem is more terminal than I expect, I've joined the AAA. I thought I'd also use some petrol additive, such as REDEX, and see if this helps - should be ok with the injectors?

As I mentioned before, I intend to use this van for a trip across the states - I'm starting in New England, up to Canada, then back and west through Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, the Dakotas and Nebraska, and then back down south east through Tennessee,etc. and ending up in Alabama. The condition of my engine makes me think that I ought to have some idea about where to get spares, such as Cylinder heads, water pump, etc., before I set off. Can anybody recomend sources for spares in any of these states? Similiarly, is there a larger VW club that I ought to be aware of/ join?

Finally, if the engine does go bang earlier than expected, for example starts leaking water, are there any emergency fixes that you can recommend, for example a version of RADWELD (temp radiator repair fluid) for cylinder heads? What about the fuel injection system, is this reliable?

Thanks again for your comments.

Tim