Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Aug 1996 10:17:12 CST6CDT
From:         "Dan Houg" <fairwind@northernnet.com>
Subject:      Re: 88* Pre-ignition problems

On 19 Aug 96, Harley Thomas wrote:

> Hi, I am a new subscriber to this list, so my apologies to the > "oldies" if this is an old topic that has been fully discussed > earlier.

that's okay. us "oldies" have such lousy memories that it is likely we've either forgotten about it or forgotten the solution.

What I've got: 1988, 2109cc, 82kW with Digijet injection > Engine was completely renovated 18 months ago.

when did the problem arise? after the rebuild or recently.

My problem is: > Pre-ignition under load (pinking). I have checked all the settings > and they are as specified in the manual that I have, i.e. CO Vol > 2.0, Ignition Timing 10 deg BTDC.

a couple more questions: what fuel octane are you using? also, the ignition timing must be checked and set with a specific set of conditions as noted in the BGBB (Big Green Bentley Book). if the timing was set without adhering to the procedure, it could be off.

also, although your CO level is normal, you *may* have a lean condition caused by a variety of things, including a bad fuel pressure regulator. if it is convienient, have the NOx checked and if this is sky high, start looking for items to cause a lean condition. this will cause pinking and generally poorer performance.

>Is there anyone out there who can > come up with a solution?

probably not, but that won't stop us from giving you advice.