Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Aug 96 16:10:09 UT
From:         "Richard Fischer" <RFKayaker@msn.com>
Subject:      1984 VW Camper

I'm new to this list, and have a couple of questions that I hope readers will be honest with me about.

I have a 1984 VW Camper with about 102,000 miles. It's in great shape, looks very nice, no rust at all, and has had the oil changed every 3,000 miles with synthetic oil, either Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec. I could go on and on....I really like this vehicle, BUT.......I've heard some real negatives about it that I hope someone can give me honest, solid, non-prejudiced advice about. ( ha ha...this is even hard for me to do!).

One friend of mine buys and sells used cars, and has been doing this for years. He advises me to sell it ASAP because of all the poor engine qualities of this Vanagon based vehicle. such as heads that tend to crack, water cooling problems, etc. He mentioned that once the problems start, they are very expensive and constant.

I've heard this before from others but have no one personally who has had these problems. Could anyone out there comment. I think I can get at least $6,500 to $7,500 for this considering the shape it's in. From what I'm hearing....selling sounds like the right thing to do.

RFK