Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Aug 1996 15:15:15 -0700
From:         surfrider@batnet.com (Gavin Flanagan)
Subject:      Stalling diagnosis (FI related?) -- update

Hello Again Volks,

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post yesterday. I really appreciate what this list has to offer and hope that soon I will be able to give assistance, as well as receive it.

My problem is that my 78 Westy stalls after about 30 seconds. She used to begin to stall at about 120 degrees but I could keep her going by reving the engine. Once she was hotter than 120, she never stalled. What follows are hopefully all the answers to the questions I received:

In terms of resources/tools, I have Muir's Idiot Guide, the Bentley manual, a good friend with a bit more knowledge than I have, a volt-ohm meter, and lotsa tools. Also, a stubborn persistence to solve this problem myself.

So anyway, yesterday we rolled up our sleeves and started to poke around. This is one of my first times doing something more complicated than changing the oil, filters, etc. so a lot of time was spent getting familiar with Nellie's innards.

All wires and connections looked good. Hoses were all tight. There definitely is gas in the tank. We changed the fuel and air filters. While trying to start her we *think* we heard the fuel pump clicking and we definitely smelled gas. Also, the distributor was sparking. We tested the resistance on both temp sensors. #1 was under 2500 ohms but #2 was slightly over (2630).

As of today, I am hoping that temp sensor #2 is the culprit. I was able to find the tiny little part for $26 at a great local shop (anyone else know of Tassi?). The dealer wanted me to wait 10 days and then charge me $67. Grrr....

============================ Things I have not checked yet:

-condensor on the side of the distributor -double relay unit (where is it?)

*Any other suggestions?* ============================ Side note:

We had a helluva hard time finding temp sensor II. We knew from Bently and Muir where it is *supposed* to be and we kept rooting around in between cylinders #3 and #4. Finally we figured out that the PO had temp sensor II moved near cylinder #1, on the opposite side of the engine. I assume he did this because #3 & #4 tend to run hotter... has anyone out there done (or heard of) this?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any suggestions will be much appreciated.

See you on the road! (hopefully soon)