Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Aug 1996 16:24:19 -0700
From:         "Ed Cain, jr." <ecain@pacbell.net>
Subject:      New waterboxer heads, looking for.

I have an `85 1.9l waterboxer that came standard with cracks between the valve seats. After I added lots of corrosion to the head(s) around the water boot, not to mention gaping holes on the sealing surfaces where the little green o-ring keeps the water from aluminum head gasket, I'm ready to replace my non-corable heads!

I have seen a shiny, brand new, zero miles on it, wasserboxer head that was manufactured by "AMC" ! It looks like a high quality casting with superb machining! But, I can't find a source for them! The one I saw was on an engine that came from an unnamed source. The running hardware I have ( valves, springs,.... ) is in good shape. I would just need a freshly machined casting!!!! Two would be really nice! would anyone mind sharing a source for new, non-VW heads heads, in particular, "AMC" ?? Dealer is too $$$ for original stock ( sorry VWOA, but I was quoted jobber price same as retail, and this was about the most $$ I've seen for a bare head for any car I've worked on ).

I have also heard tell of some new Brazilian imports, although the tale goes that the metal is softer, and the head itself occasionally mis-places a valve seat or two. Would anyone have any info about the reliability and maybe a source for these??

A note regarding my use of Sierra brand Anti Freeze, the stuff that's safe for the environment. When I pulled the heads for the third time, I found clear, slightly green tinted, crystalline deposits on the heads, about 1/8" thick. The deposits were also developing in and around the holes for the coolant passages. Some of the corrosion I found did look a little like electrolysis. Some of the corrosion I found was corrosion -- powdery white stuff. The crystalline stuff was not any kind of corrosion I have ever seen. 60% coolant, 40% water, just like the bottle says. Does this happen with any other kinds of coolant, or am I doing something I shouldn't. I am thinking a ground strap to #1/#2 head might do anything from nothing, to help fight electrolysis and (?). I'm checking into the Coolant FAQ ( and maybe the Betty Ford clinic if the little green deposits don't go away! ).

FYI: I inspected a 1.9l wasserboxer head, picked off the shelf at SIR in Santa Ana, CA. Both bridges between the seats had been COMPLETELY welded up, the combustion surface area built up and re-machined, the spark plug threads were immaculate, the little green o-ring surface was smoooth, it was a REALLY CLEAN head!!! I can only speak for the one I saw, and the one looked very professional.

Albeit, I really, really want a brand new head ( or two, and just the castings ), and I am stubborn that way, I have to question whether or not the re-weld job is a superior structure. My father, a Navy Machinist Mate from good ol' WWII, says the rewelded area has superior strength without being brittle, if it is done right in the first place ( he does everything himself and is always right, you know! ). He says the welded replacement might be better choice because of all the rewelding.