Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Aug 1996 01:04:55 -0700
From:         nleong@BayNetworks.COM (Norman Leong)
Subject:      Re: Eurovan MV???

So then, Tim P. said:

>Me too. Only I own a GL. I looked for a weekender MV when I bought the >GL, and called VW's 800 number to locate a 5-speed new on the lot (this was >fall of 94). Only weekenders they showed on their computer were two >automatics in Hawaii at the time! So I bought the GL. Looked at the ^^^^^^

Muchachos y muchachas (or kanes & wahines, as the case may be...)! Well, I'm there (HI, that is) and yes, it's hard to believe, but they do have MV Weekenders here, which seems pretty, uh, kind of a waste because no matter where you are on Oahu you're no more than an hour or so away from home (and trust me, you don't want to be shipping vehicles inter-island just to go camping on a whim...). Anyway, they have a surprising number of MV's in both the Weekender and non-Weekender flavor. And I would concur w/ Tim's finding that HI was probably the last place to sell all their Weekenders as new, as I recall seeing at least one at Ala Moana VW when I was visiting family a couple years ago. You all should count your blessings, cuz good VW service (air or H2O) is pretty hard to come by, and this humid climate really bites, not to mention the salt in the air....

Oh, so anyway, I'll add my $0.02 worth to the original thread and say that a couple weekends ago I had the "pleasure" of driving to Sacto (Sacramento, CA) not once, but twice, in 100+ degree temps. The first time around I took my wife's GLI w/ reworked suspension. The second time around I took my MV, and I'm here to tell you that the MV was a hands down winner; if you've got to drive long miles/ hours, you might as well be comfortable while you're doing it.

Aloha, Norman isn't remote access great? Leong '93 EV MV '91 Jetta GLI '96 Ford Contour GL rental car (hey, this is a NICE car!)