Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Aug 96 16:40:42 EDT
From:         snuggles@VNET.IBM.COM
Subject:      Mountain Trek Trip Report

.gf trip note

hey now,

well, me and Rumba went last week to visit my fiancee in the beautiful NC mountains. i was really kinda worried about this trip...with a newly rebuilt engine with about 600 miles on the rebuild. but i did the valves before the trip and the heads didn't even need torqueing. she was running fine but i kept on getting that vw paranoia...is that a new noise? where's it coming from? is it a noise? etc. my main worry was a leaky oil temp sending unit that i thought i had fixed the night before my trip. got to work saturday morning to find that it wasn't fixed. :-( anyone got some ideas on this? the oil temp sending unit is fixed into a hole drilled into the sump plate. i've tried the copper gasket both outside and inside the sump but to no avail. maybe try a new gasket? one on both the inside and outside? your help would be greatly appreciated.

anyways, i worked 12pm to 6pm on saturday and snuck out a little early so i could hit the road. checked the oil, yes it's leaking, puddle about the size of both my palms held together. checked the oil, still same place it was this morning. i cruise outta research triangle park and head west on i-40 feeling a little nervous...i knew the mountains well and knew it'd be rough.

drove on up to the rest aread right after burlington, checked oil. still fine. no problem. kept up a steady 65mph and everyone still passed me. some waved. no vw vans. plenty american minivans. yuck. drank some snapple...watched what would prove to be a beautiful sunset starting.

i made good time...stopping once in statesville to top off the tank because nothing on 64 going to lake lure would be open at this time of the night. ammocco is my flavor of preference. filled up the tank. i had been driving 3 hours at about 65-70mph. engine was cool enough that i could put my hand on the case and leave it there a long time. dipstick was cool also, oil was fine. it had cooled off by this time going for a humid sticky 89 degrees F to around 70 with some fog. figured out my gas milage...20.9 mpg. not bad on an engine that was just rebuilt. put on a long sleeve shirt because i was actually chilly. bought some kewl raised stickers in the store...smileys, peace symbols, etc. amanda would love these!

hit the road...drove another 1/2 hour, picked up 64 going towards rutherdferton and kept going about 60 mph. 64 is a delightful drive after i-40. it's a two lane road that goes through the foothills and then up up up into the mountains. took 74 at rutherdferton towards lake lure. if your are heading towards asheville on i-40 and have some spare time, not afraid of mountains, and want a scenic route, take 64 west to 74 west and then on into asheville. there's some traffic and it will take longer, but it's oh so much better then i-40.

i put on some herbie hancock and was jamming while going down 64. had my brights on because there was no traffic at 9:45pm out there. the road was mine. at least i thought it was until a large, cat like animal...ran like a cat but was about the size of a medium sized dog ran out in front of me. not real close but i'd never seen a bobcat before...it was on the other side of the road and into the woods before i passed. wow...neat. then later on i saw a fox. foxes look like dogs but run like cats. wow. weird. anyways, i continue on towards lake lure.

the first turn of the first mountain kinda caught me by suprise and i overreacted a bit, but i caught myself and sailed into, easing into third and then giving it gas as i came outta the curve. those curves up there are great! you can definitely tell the locals and the tourists up there. the tourists don't know how to drive in the mountains. unfortunately, i got stuck behind a retired couple from florida in their little chevy? van. too much breaking. too slow. but i managed and got over the first mountain with no problem and mostly in third..with power to spare. sometimes in second because of grandma and grandpa.

made it down the second mountain no problem and into the town of lake lure. if you ever go down this mountain, you'd better be going 35mph when you hit the town limits or mr. johnny law will gladly write you a speeding ticket. they don't have much else to do but catch drunk tourists and give speeding tickets. it was kinda late now, about 10:30pm and nodbody was out but the biker bar was hopping and i got a few yeeeehhhhhawwwwws when i drove past. i didn't see many buses on the trip up but i did see maybe 30 harleys in all. this is biking territory. gripped the steering wheel as i passed my favorite tattoo parlor and muttered several times: "i will not get another tattoo, i will not get another tattoo."

pulled into the little cajun restaurant where my girlfriend/fiancee lives... felt the engine again...still cool. yay! she was finishing up so i looked at her bosses '72 westy which he bought and drove once or twice. it's immaculate. he bought it from some old man for $2000. reverse gave out and it's been parked there ever since....i'm not a fan of '72 westys because of the cot instead of a real bed on the pop top but i did mention to him if he wanted to sell, that he should talk to me. i figure the steering linkage is gone...or maybe the transmission. we sat around drinking a beer and bs'ing about busses. i showed off my beautiful pancake engine...then amanda and i got into Rumba and drove back up the mountain to her grandma's house and some food and good lovin'.

next time in part two: the SPLITTIE: jonathan is in love, another mountain, the trip to asheville, and the blue ridge parkway at midnight.

jonathan'74 Retrowestie (Ru/\/\ba)