Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Aug 1996 11:33:46 -0700
From:         Ian Webb <ian_webb@virginia.edu>
Subject:      Bike Rack

I balked at the price of the Paulchen rack as well. And because necessity is the mother of invention, spare parts the father, and a few cold beers the inspiration, I was able to take an old Thule roof rack off my Honda and put it on the back of my westy. The result: a very attractive, functional bike rack that with a little courage (and a lot less money than a Paulchen) one could duplicate very easily.

What I did was this: I first took a standard Thule roof rack with aero feet (instead of rain gutter feet), and attached the bars VERTICALLY to the back hatch, making sure they didn't get in the way of the hinge operation. Being satisfied they would stay on, I took them off and bent them slightly to follow the curve of the back hatch (I did this be putting them between the frame and tire of an old pick up truck in my neighbors yard and leaning on them until I felt them give a little). I then mounted them back on the hatch. Then with some U-bolts from Lowe's, I took the bars from the short roof line kit that was on my Honda and mounted them horizontally across the bars attached to the hatch (this could be done with any extra bar that would fit the roof rack system.) Then I took the two fork mount trays and mounted them vertically to the horizontal bars. I have room to mount 2 bikes up there now, but with I'm sure I could fit 4 and am right now experimenting with mounting my new tandem to the rear of the van as well.

This system doesn't get in the way of popping the top, but the added weight of the hatch requires you to prop the back open for loading or unloading. I have inquired as to whether or not this might hurt the bikes since they are "suspended" from the front fork, but I am assured that it will not damage the bike's fork or headset.

And this is just a guess, but I'm almost positive that this system could be replicated using a less expensive version from Performance Bikes (1-800-pbs-bike). I think they sell their roof mount kit for about $129 including 2 fork mount trays. I may be wrong about that...if anyone is interested, I can check my catalog tonite. You would, of course, have to buy some extra bars or a short roof line adapter kit for the horizontals.

Sorry I don't have any pictures of my rack...nor do I have any way to scan tem and put them on a homepage, but if anyone is interested, I'll take some and send them to someone who does have access to a scanner.

Ian

--

Ian Webb, Assistant Director University of Virginia Roanoke Center Phone: (540) 857-7922 Fax: (540) 857-7936 ian_webb@virginia.edu