Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Aug 1996 21:31:24 -0400
From:         dgeiger@k2nesoft.com (Don Geiger)
Subject:      Engine out, Part 2

First I'd like to thank all those who responded to my request for help on how to remove the head temp sensor on my engine tin. Most said it shouldn't be attached to the tin, just the head. Well, it probably shouldn't have been, but on mine it was. Musta been screwed into head after the tin was on. The common response was to "anoint liberally with Liquid Wrench". For several days I went out morning and night and doused that sucker with Liquid Wrench, then I lit some candles and prayed. Finally, (after more prayers to all the gods I could think of) I got it to squeek out.

With all the tin off, I saw that it was not surprising I had trouble - how could this thing get any cooling air? Oil, dirt, leaves, acorns, screws, a big metal disk? What a mess! I didn't have a temp guage before, but I will when it goes back in. And I'll bet it'll run cooler that it was.

Got the heads off today after getting son back from camp (kid grew couple inches and aged a couple years). One problem, one upper cylinder head stud came loose instead of the nut. What should I do with this? Got too dark too see much else today.

Hey, anyone else going to the Summer Splash (or whatever its called) VW show off the NJ Parkway in Berkeley Twp. tomorrow. I think I'm gonna stop by for a while in the morning. Hope to see ya' there!