Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Aug 1996 10:11:20 -0700
From:         busgirl@netcom.com (Martha)
Subject:      CCC's 9/20-22 location?

As many of you know, our Sept. campout promises to be a biggie. Many people have indicated serious interest, so it looks like there'll be a good turn out. Dave Schwarze and Joel Walker are coming from Texas and Alabama repsectively. If you can make only one camping trip this year, this is definitely the one to put on your calender.

Trying to narrow down a location: some are coming from southern CA, and some from northern CA, and of course Dave and Joel from the east. We're trying to make this as "east" as possible (for D and J, who will be driving in excess of 24 hours straight to be with us), but still close enough to the LA and SF areas, so that as many people as possible who've already indicated interest and have attended many times in the past will still find it tempting enough to make the drive.

Kathy Myers has suggested the Mammouth area, which is I think southeast of Yosemite. In winter this could be tricky to get to with closed passes, but won't be a problem in September. Kathy can probably advise us on the approxomite driving times and best routes, etc. Kath? It's at relatively high elevation, so should be a nice escape from the heat waves. Temps in about a month are supposed to be 60-70sF in the daytime, and 30-40s in the middle of the night. Good climate to test out that new camping heater you've just installed.

At any rate, I move that we concentrate on this area. Kathy has made a few suggestions, including one place in the wilds which would be free, and another group site (which is fortunately very reasonably priced). I've called the phone number she gave me and am awaiting information on at least a few of these places.

Do I hear any pros/cons regarding the location? If we get a group site, we'll need to get working on reservations, so I'd like to decided on the location ASAP. Yays? Nays? Lemme know. The date is firm: Sept. 20-22.

/martha busgirl@netcom.com