Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Sep 1996 22:27:16 -0500
From:         ctfisher@students.wisc.edu (Christopher T. Fisher)
Subject:      Parting out 85 GL

Hello all Well if I were Irish, that would explain it but since I'm not I must just be *%$# lucky. In the last hour of an epic 16 day journey the exhaust on my 84 self destructed in an incredible din previously likened only to muscle cars. The next day, seeing dollar signs in the clouds, I happened across a great bargain; a tan 85 GL with a trashed crankshaft/block but with a brand new exhaust. The owner had just gone through the van to get it road worthy, sparing no expense, when it blew (most of us will now shudder at the thought). Throwing caution to the wind I snapped up the ailing van and that new exhaust now resides in 'babe the blue ox canoe hauler' (my 84 GL). "Ah Hah", those of you who scored well on the logic portion of the GRE are now saying "what in tarnation are you going to do with the rest of the van". And that, of course, is my problem. Derelict cars are not well thought of in Wisconsin as they take up valuable space better filled by cows or surplus dairy products. As it stands now I'm going to have to work like one of Santa's little elves to strip that tan van and get it to the boneyard before the city gets wise. So 85 GL owners (or anyone else with an appropriate year Vanagon), have I got a deal for you. This van is in great shape (too nice to be a parts van my conscience is telling me), nice interior (though of a bizarre brown shade only Volkswagon could love), good metal, all mechanical is there except for the block and all contained within (when the crankshaft blew, it really blew -- not 'rebuildable'), manual tranny, AC, new brake stuff etc. Just send me an E-Mail and help ease my storage woes. Oh yeah, and by the way, for all you 'West Coasties'. V-Dub buses were made to carry canoes, not surf boards, got it. Hope I can help someone out Chris