Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 03 Sep 96 13:52:00 M
From:         "Fulkerson, Barry" <bf02858@po3.cobe.com>
Subject:      New to list, need info on Syncro's

Hello Everyone,

I stumbled across this list about a month ago and would like to introduce myself because I am a Westy wantabee. I live in Boulder, Colorado and spend many weekends in the mountains. I am starting my research for a new, or like-new, car and have a strong hankering for a camper van (you know us guys, the hunt is more fun than the kill). I've never own a Westy, or a Volkswagon for that matter. I been trying to find out the history of the Westfalia via the web, but no luck. Because I'm looking for a used model, I've been trying to find out the breakdown of different model types and what years they were made.

I am interested primarily in the 4WD version (Syncro?) because I spend a lot time off road and in the snow. Can anyone tell me the following:

- What was the last year the Syncro was made? - Are some models of the Syncro better than others? - I tend to put a lot of miles on my vehicles, about 250k. If a Westy is maintained, what kind of mileage can I expect? - Is the 4WD version worth it or will the 2WD go about anywhere (within limits)? - When did volkswagon switch to the EuroVan style? - I've looked at some of the new models and noticed that the engine is in front instead of the rear. When did they make that switch?

Barry Fulkerson fulkersonb@cobe.com Boulder, Colorado 89 Toyota several skis and two kayaks