Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         11 Sep 1996 08:22:38 -0700
From:         "Harvey Chao" <Harvey_Chao@smtp.svl.trw.com>
Subject:      Re:  Brake fluid cleanup

Jeff Carver asked: "Any recommendations on how to clean up carpet and the padding underneath that is soaked with brake fluid?"

In my diesel Vanagon, the "pad" under the carpet in the driver's side footwell is a hunk of fairly solid foam material (as opposed to a typical jute or home type carpet pad.

When I have had brake fluid spills, what I have done is park the van so that when the driver's door is left open, any water in the foot well will drain out the door frame opening. I then rinse/flood the carpet with water until the water drains clean and without foam. The carpet can be partially lifted to get at the pad underneath and to rinse off the metal flooboards. When done, I use an old towel to wipe the floorboards dry. I wipe the pad dry because it has some kind of coating that seems to prevent water from penetrating. If yours is different , leave it in the sun to dry. I leave the carpet raised to allow air circulation between the carpet and floorboards as well as across the top surface of the carpet. Usually I use my hand to "squeege" off as much excess water from the nap of the carpet as possible first. Leave the van open to promote air circulation. This is something best done on a warm sunny day.

You will find not only that you are rinsing out the brake fluid (it gets kinda foamy) but increadible amounts of old fashioned dirt as well - typically the water drains muddy/gray at first, inspite of rubber floor mats over the carpet.. This process works just as well on the front passenger side (for spills) if you reorient the van so the water drains. In the case of the carpet in the rear seating areas, if you take up the threshold plate by the sliding door, the carpet can be removed from the van, placed on a suitable surface (concrete cdriveway) and hosed clean and allowed to dry.

Harvey