Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Sep 1996 14:01:23 +0100
From:         Brian Verbeek <verbeek@the-hague.stbv.slb.com>
Subject:      VW Euro, Clara, Dave, Seamed Shroud, URLs in SuperVW, 912 motor

All,

I've done a lot the last couple of days, i've been to VW Euro near Venlo here in Holland, i was supposed to meet Dave Eccles from the UK and Clara Williams from Washington, both listmembers, i only managed to meet Clara, she really knows her barndoor stuff, Dave drove 1000 miles to Venlo and back in two days i think, as he had allready left the event early Saturday afternoon, he had to bring his son to college, they let him know by fax on the very last minute or something, dono exactly, it's a pitty i didn't meet him, but i'm sure we'll be able to meet eahother in the future.

I went on to search for Clara and ended up requesting a call for her through the PA system, a few minutes later we met in front of the radio car we talked and talked, had a drink, then she introduced me to Glenn Swanson, also a (UK?) listmember, i showed him my List T and we shook hands but i had offered Clara to ship some stuff to her house if she wanted, she allready bought a 25 Hp motor at VW Action in England that she wanted to hand carry home on her flight back to the US ( :) VW Nuts...) she had bought a NOS barndoor door handle and some other small parts that she could fit in her back- pack and she had seen a seamed fan shroud for sale that she wanted to buy, so we said goodbye to Glenn as it was around 17.00 Hrs. and a lot of folks were packing up and i was only able to be there on Saturday, we didn't find the shroud anymore. I dono about you, but the 'seamed' fanshroud was new to me, Clara told me they were used on '49 and earlier VWs, they have a spotwelded seam along and in the center of the top of the shroud. I finally found myself a NOS doghouse fanshroud, German, no dents, no rust, just perfect :) i also bought some brochures, one '67 Baywindow, one '70 Baywindow and a '66 Bug brochure, which looked like a magazine to me, all are in the Dutch language, new, never read for not too much money (she had more of them, old stock from somewhere she had more of it i have her number and can get more...)

I talked to a German who sells a lot of Porsche parts, i finally found a satisfying method of mounting Porsche wheels, the guy had two Porsche hubs and some sort of adaptosr/spacers that go on the spindles, the hubs then fit with new/other bearings, the wheels bolts to the face of the hub and the brake disk to the rear, according to the guy you need early Porsche 911 disks and calipers or calipers of a 930, this is what i'm gonna do, i allready have rear hubs drilled and tapped 5x130, i only need to elongate the holes in the (new) drums a little.

The guy told me about a fantastic Bus, a '75 baywindow 'Silber Pfeil' or Silver Arrow, i dono if he was referring to a special edition or if that's just what the Germans call silver metallic Busses, this car was still owned by the original owner, had about 50.000 org. KM on the clock and had complete 'Porsche Technic' as the German put it, engine, tranny, brakes, hubs, wheels, master cylinder etc. I found out how valuable my 4.5 J Porsche 5-spokes really are, i rarely see them, the 5, 5.5, 6 and wider rims are around 900 to 1400 DG, i saw a 4.5 set for 2000 DG! As usual, i saw a lot Germans with 1303 Bugs, Supers, they really like those, i must add that we never had the 5mph bumpers and that most of them have the nice looking in-bumper front indicators, the 17" Porsche wheels are really coming. Saw a 912 Porsche motor, German rebuilt lower end, blasted and repainted tinware, generator, all except P&Cs and heads, 6500 DG, very nice to have in a '60s Bug imho, this guy seemed to specialize in these motors, i saw 912 heads, bead blasted for 250 DG each, i think -some size- Mahle VW P&Cs could be used on one of these.

Saturday night we drove home and Sunday night/Monday morning 3am we took off to Paris, Euro Disney, we had a great time there last week, of course, i had to buy Super VW, a French VW magazine, i saw that Bruce Meyers is editor or something (!) There is a shop in France that sells 20.000 Km, 1 year young Mexican Bugs for a reasonable price, they also sell new bodies for 3000 DG and complete but used bodies for about 5500 DG etc, all Mexican parts. (1us$=1.7DG)

Another thing was that they had a feature story on the internet, i saw Thom Fitzpatricks page, the Hoover page, another pointer to a Hoover document 'Hardshifting', Skip Montanaro's page and several others, and, of course, also the VWoA and VW AG sites.

Brian.