Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Sep 1996 15:21:02 -0700
From:         "Patrick Walters (Volt Comp) (Exchange)" <a-patwal@Exchange.Microsoft.com>
Subject:      Engine Decisions

I have a '77 Camper with a unknown year possible new, not rebuilt Mexican 1600 engine in it.

I put a new Carb and Distributor on it and it seems to still just lack any and all desire to go up any hill.

I am sometimes reduced to 40 MPH on the shallowest of grades.

I have two things.

One is I am not 100% positive the mechanic I had do the work got it perfect. He wouldn't have duped me, he's a friend and really a mechanic, but not a VW guru. What I am seeing is hesitation and flat spots. This is my first Carb car so my first inclination is I am not driving right or possibly as I have seen in other threads the timing is off. I told him it should be 7.5 BTDC for the 009, like my FLAPS (Bow Wow in Seattle) told me.=20

The other thing is I am considering a new engine block. A bigger one obviously to help with the hills around here. I haven't tried to approach the mountains yet. The '77 had a 2.0L in it and I have seen new blocks for under $1000 in the VW Mags. I was hoping to go back to at least a 2.0L maybe a little bigger depending on money.

Any suggestions? Patrick '77 VW Camper Fargencampin