Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Sep 1996 20:24:55 -0400
From:         K & K <napman@planet.net>
Subject:      Re: 86 Westy Electrical Questions/Problems

After a little bit of a" calming down break", I was able to think a little bit more rational. I pulled out my multi-meter and started to do a little point to point probing. Low and behold I found no continuity across the LRR. It seems to have a resistor wired into the coil side of the relay, I guess it decides by the voltage draw when to open or close . I went to the local import shop and snagged a replacement for about $7.00. Pluged it in and presto all better. So many thanks to all who responded.

Napman 86 Westy Syncro 82 Westy F.S in N.J.

At 04:49 PM 9/4/96 -0400, you wrote: >The problem could very well be in the load reduction relay. It's purpose it >to reduce electrical load while cranking. The items you listed are probably >controlled by the load reduction relay. What you have to determine is, did >the relay quit working? Did the power input into the relay cut out? (This is >somewhat less likely) Did the power that switches the relay cut out? Or did >the relay loose it's ground? The LRR used to be in the fuse box. It's pretty >much square. If I remember correctly the terminals are not centered in the >bottom, (this may not be entirely true, it's been many years since I worked >on them) If you cannot duplicate the problem you may want to carry a heavy >gauge jumper wire with you #10 gauge with a female connector on each end. If >the symptoms return. Remove the LRR and use the jumper to jump across the >terminals that 30 and 87 plug in. Note that the 30 and 87 are on the relay >NOT on the fuse box. Just line up the relay and put the jumper in the >corresponding female slots. This will not diagnose the problem though. You >will need a test light or volt meter to determine if the relay's controlling >voltage is the problem. The two remaining terminals are the control >connections. One is 12 volts and the other is ground. Good Luck >At 08:20 PM 09/02/96 -0500, you wrote: >>While driving thru the brunt of hurricane Eddie, we lost our front and rear >>windshield wipers, heater blower motor,aux. heater, rear defroster, and last >>but not least the A.C.. We checked all the fuses and relays we could find >>and they all seemed to be AOK. There didn't seemed to be any water or >>moisture anywhere near the fuse panel , which is always a concern . After >>consulting with Bentley, we realized that our relay panel seems to be >>missing some of the relays shown in the book. Though at this time thats a >>B-list problem {everything was working before we noticed the difference.} >> So here are a couple of questions I hope you guys can help me out with, >> 1. Are there any other fuses or relays I need to be searching for? >> 2. What does the load reduction relay do ? >> 3. Bentley shows a 2nd. stage rad. cooling fan relay , I can't find it >>on the panel, what is the purpose of it and where else may it be located ? >> >> >> Thanks alot in advance. >> Napman >> 86 Westy Syncro >> 82 Westy F.S. >> >> >> >> >Jeff & Jean-Marie Diebolt --- Greetings from Michigan's Upper Peninsula >e-mail:jdiebolt@up.net >fax:(906)359-4517 > > > >