Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Sep 1996 12:02:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:         ERIC ZENO <emz@viper.nauticom.net>
Subject:      Transmission R&R part 2

Part 2

Step 1 of repairing the clutch was to examine the throwout bearing, pressure plate, disc, and flywheel. To my amazement I found all the parts in new condition, covered in heavy black dirt. Everything except the clutch disc. The disc was wrecked: high R.P.M.'s tore it apart. As for the dirt, the last (jerk) mechanic that was into the clutch (german motorwerks, here in Pittsburgh, PA) didn't clean anything. So when the disc came apart it thru dirt everywhere. Diagnosis was done, cleaning of the bell housing, rust proofing, painting was next and the longest/hardest part. I ordered the new disc, some stainless steel bolts and nuts for the exhaust, and moved to the starter for a quick check. First look, I found silicone seal, Rust, undercoating, and blistering paint all over. It has 100,000 mile on it, I took a quick look inside. This revealed a mess: burn't field windings, a hand full of worn brush material, rust, etc. OK, Out to a Rebuilder it went. $55 for complete rebuild. Not Bad! Cleaned the CV joints, painted the shift rod, Transmission mounts. Closer inspection of the motor (a GEX rebuild, as I was looking for a oil leak), I found the rear oil sending unit wiring laying on the exhaust and the insulation burn't off. (another jerk mechanic created problem). Fixing the wire was easy. Getting it away from the exhaust wasn't. Ended up removing the exhaust head pipes. This revailed a crack in the front Pipe, and a stripped thread in the head for the rear pipe. Well... The crack can be a matieral problem, then I realized that my other Vanagon has a support in center under the motor. I bet that's the reason it cracked. For the Threads that are stripped....Well I just cann't believe these mechanics are still in buissness! I welded the exhaust and cleaned the threads out of the stripped hole. I lucked out. These holes in the heads are very deep. With a much longer threads than needed. It looks like I can get plenty of thread and install a longer bolt. Next: part 3 - installation - To night.

Eric Zeno emz@nauticom.net 86 Syncro 86 GL 72 240Z 1936 Chrysler