Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 05 Sep 1996 13:52:29 EST
From:         "William R. Kennedy, NJIT CIAT, 201-596-5648" <kennedy@admin.njit.edu>
Subject:      Vanagon parts in Germany - long

>From: ADMIN::KENNEDY "William R. Kennedy, NJIT CIAT, 201-596-5648" 5-SEP-1996 13:48:13.78 To: KENNEDY CC: KENNEDY Subj: Vanagon parts in Germany (long)

Just back from two weeks in Germany, with my Vanagon enthusiasm much refreshed, and with some parts ideas that may be of interest to Vanagon owners. We visited Darmstadt (where we lived when I was in the Army 25 years ago), Heidelberg, Rothenburg, castle alley along the Rhine, and Berlin, but the rest of this note will try to concentrate on VW content.

We rented a very game little VW Polo, with the 1.4 liter engine that seems to be the universal engine size for these little cars. Acceleration's nothing amazing, but the gas mileage is. I did 103 mph on the autobahn briefly, just to say I had. At almost 4500rpm the engine was working hard and so was I. My head is calibrated for 70 or 75mph, and at 100mph the closing rates are hard to estimate. When you pull to the right for faster traffic (and at 100mph on the autobahn there is some) behind a truck or car-pulled trailer doing 55, your closing rate is something serious. Things I'm comfortable doing at 75 (drink a sip of Diet Coke; change stations on the radio) are not on my list at 100.

There are Vanagons in Germany! There are few aircooled VWs of any sort on the road, but there are lots of waterpumpers of every sort: high-roofed campers; racy late-model multivans with spoilers and aluminum wheels; tuff-looking German army Syncros in camoflage paint; panels and pritchen-wagen, both single- and doppel-cabine, standard and wide-bed; working vans of the Post Office, police, fire departments, and train lines. (Post Office yellow is the most popular color for ratty old campers, as many are built out of ex-Post Office panel-trucks.) I even saw an armored car Eurovan. The T4s are also very numerous, but nowhere near as pretty as a Vanagon. I stopped at the VW dealer and bought a MULTIVAN and a TRANSPORTER placquet; now I have to decide which to install on the 81. CARAVELLE would have been more correct, but I don't picture my Vgon as a sailing vessel.

I picked up the latest issues of all the VW magazines, and will summarize the used VW classifieds situation in a future posting. I also stopped at two shops that specialize in Vanagon enhancements.

ONTOUR, in Giessen, is a young couple who offer a line of parts and accessories for Vanagons and T4s. They can also get used parts. They have really neat Vanagons as samples of their wares. One had an Audi 5-cylinder engine (using a different adapter kit from Winkler's -- see below) and a Mercedes electric moonroof. Ontour sells the Projektzwo line of fiberglas and the leading aluminum wheels. They have nice-quality 3-piece front carpet sets for DM69. I would picture using them for an order large enough to justify the shipping costs, including some used parts that are hard to find over here, like the late-model body cladding and power mirrors.

Dirk Kloess

Lindenstrasse 49

35389 Giessen-Luetzellinden

Germany

phone or fax at 06403-75338

Axel Winkler has a somewhat larger organization and a 180-page catalog to die for. His focus is on bigger engines, and it's his kit that Helmut Ziedler is using to Audi5ify his Vanagon. The kits for the Audi 5 (gas or diesel) and for the Ford V6 are available complete or piece by piece. Not cheap, but where else are you going to find this stuff? For instance, the exhaust system that hooks up to the Audi manifold and takes the exhaust forward and dumps it in front of the driver's side rear wheel is DM860. You could fabricate it, but Winkler's works and it's done.

Winkler has the Projektzwo line, too, plus other stuff I've never seen in the US: Air-intake scoops, DM180. Front or rear outside spare-tire mounts. Front, side, and rear grill-guards and bumpers made out of 43 or 60mm pipe. Probably 20 different models of wheels to fit the Vanagon, in sizes up to 10x17inch. Two different center consoles, one that takes up the walk-through, one that leaves it mostly open. An overhead console, DM295, that fits above the sunvisors with space for treble speakers and some gauges. An overlay that covers the whole dash except for the existing instrument binnacle, with trays on top and space for gauges on the front, DM350. Sliding rear side windows, DM381. 7 different highroofs, in heights from 500 to 780mm above the drip-rail, from DM1000 to DM1500. Camper parts. Four-wheel disk brake setup DM3600. 85 liter fuel tank to replace the stock 60liter tank, DM860. Is this heaven or what?

Winkler's demo-mobile is a hurt-your-eyes yellow doka (double-cab) with fiberglas extensions not just bolted on but formed onto the body all around, wide tires on 16-inch wheels, sport seats and leather console, sunroof, and the obligatory Audi 5.

A. Winkler

Schuechtermannstrasse 7

44628 Herne 1

Germany

Fax 02323-82374

What I need is a bunch of money, an empty shipping container, and two months to hit a bunch of VW meets in Germany during the summer. There is one meet just for VWs with "fremdenmotoren" -- "strange motors", and although Porsche-powered Vanagons like mine are rare because of the cost of the engine, there were several in the Kloess' photo-album of past meets. That album was a treasure in itself because in every picture of an amazing Vanagon, there were six more amazing Vanagons in the background!

I will definitely be putting together at least a small order for one or both of these vendors, and I am interested in hearing if anyone else thinks a joint order might save some translatlantic shipping costs. Also interested in hearing of US sources for any of the pieces I mentioned.

No matter how you slice it, it is reassuring to know that the quantity of Vanagons on the road will justify a continuing supply of parts well into the future. Just wish more of them were over here.