Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         06 Sep 96 08:13:45 PDT
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      (f) Recipe for "Bus Roll" (long)

Recipe for a "Bus Roll" or how to enjoy the benefits of a roller coaster, but waste a bus in the meantime.

> You've got to be joking... I have done some real stunts > but never rolled.... Obviously your going to try this again?

That I actually rolled a bus? No it actually happened, a full one and one quarter roll. It was not due to tremendous stunt driving abilities however.

"Bus Roll"

Best served with a generous helping of humility, fatalism and good fortune for occupants. Take one part Black Ice, One part '76 Riviera Camper, Two parts Gusting 40 mph cross winds, With about a 25 mile per hour travel speed. Mix generously near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada in October.

The resulting combination yields the following: As we were travelling the front end blew around so we were facing backwards, at least for while. With the now tractionless bus going backwards the wind continued to push us sideways also., We came to the edge of the road and onto the leeward side of the freeway embankment. The right front tire hit the dirt, came off the rim and we proceeded to rollover in the 8 inches of grass with about 6 inches of that white fluffy cold stuff on top. Slow roll, almost ended back up on the wheels, and then one of those slow motion falls over onto it's right side. No injuries at all to myself, only one huge bruise to my wife on her thigh as a wooden box between the seats crashed onto her. I believe in seat belts, even more so after that. I also believe in lashing down as much gear inside the vehicle as possible.

We were able to exit the bus through the driver's door and proceeded to figure out what to do in the blizzard. SO headed to the road to obtain help, while I assessed damage and see what I could do. I gained entrance through the driver's door and found the following: The water tank had parted with it's moorings and was pouring water over contents of interior. I opened slider sliding window, yanked (or since I was in Canada, was it canadianed) the water tank out and drained it through the open window. Every bit and piece of stuff had been tossed about thoroughly, including our expensive cameras. Since the cameras were the only valuables, I gathered them up and exited the bus, to find my SO. I was found by a RCMP trooper who had stopped to investigate big rig that had jack-knifed behind us. When I got back to the bus, I was unable to get in through the driver's door, as it had frozen. The pop-top came loose and I was had to crawl in through the opening.

SO had gotten a ride to a cafe, and was trying to get a tow company interested in rescuing us, to no avail. THEY didn't want to go out in the storm either. Karma stepped in. Next to the phone was a tow crew, getting a bite to eat, overheard SO and offered assistance.

I was riding around in a RCMP patrol car, all nice and warm, trying to find SO. Seems the tow truck had REAL difficulty gaining traction in the snow, at least until they hooked up the VW. Withe added weight the slogged out to the road again. We needed other. We got it towed to a Buick dealer in Brandon, who allowed us to place in inside their work area to thaw out. The next morning after it had thawed out, checked out the damage. RF tire off rim, RR upper corner bashed in, no glass broken, doors all sorta worked, entire bus kinda twisted. I started fine, so we put the tire back on the rim and away we drove to SO's family in Kelliher Saskatchewan (a couple hundred miles further NORTH). Stayed a few days and were able to make a few repairs to seal out the cold, but pop top not functional. But who wants to camp in 5 degree weather (no aux heater) After arriving in Seattle and checking further on damage, the insurance company totaled it. Did have to replace the clutch cable in 5 degree weather however on the way home. We met some nice helpful folks in the crash area. Including the RCMP.

Do it again, naw. Well at least not on purpose. Wife still won't drive a bus after that. That was 13 years ago. Still willing to be a passenger, tho after that I don't know why.

I did learn that it would be nice to have a second exit from a bus that's crashed onto it's right side. Previous post details exit handle location for a Vanagon rear hatch.

- Jeff '80 Westi, '67 Sqbk, '64 Ford Crewcab, '87 Subaru 4WD Grass Valley, California