Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 06 Sep 1996 19:46:27 -0700
From:         Michael Perry <mperry@efn.org>
Subject:      Re: (f) Recipe for "Bus Roll" (long)

Jeff Carver wrote: > > Recipe for a "Bus Roll" or how to enjoy the benefits of a roller > coaster, but waste a bus in the meantime. >

Wow, quite a story. Thanks.

Dad had a rather interesting problem getting out of a van, back in 1970. I got the story second hand, and the details changed with each telling. This is what happened, as close as I can figure out.

Dad was coming home one night, late, driving the "normal" 60 to 70 mph, and something caused the van to go out of control (I think it was a hard gust of wind). He had just passed a semi, and the wheel spun clear to the right peg. He shot across the freeway in front of the semi, and up the right embankment. As the van exited the road, a side marker caught the bumper and punched out the right turn signal. Dad hit the floor.

Watching from the floor, with his hip on the accelerator, the van rolled to its right side. He looked up to see the wheel spin wildly, pegging clear left. Getting traction, the van lept to its wheels, and careened back across the freeway, just behind the tractor trailer, and across the medium strip. The van continued across the other side of the road, just narrowly being missed by a station wagon (it didn't slow, or even swerve... he must have been asleep at the wheel). Dad couldn't reach the keys, so he shoved the van out of gear, and it came to rest on the side of the road.

Now, with the engine revving close to its max RPMs (how long does it take to blow a 1500cc?), and gas fumes filling the van, dad rolled off the accelerator, seeking an exit. He first tried both front doors, but they were solidly wedged, then he jumped into the back. The hinges on the side doors were crushed inward, so both side doors were wedged closed. He was beginning to panic, because gas fumes were quite strong inside. Dad never did like the VW van (although he was the one who bought it), and he couldn't think of anything more horrendous than burning to death in it. Go figure!

He had the pressence of mind to shut off the engine. The semi truck's driver had arrived by now, and was tried to open the doors. The rear hatch was locked, so pushing the button had no effect. The side doors were also locked with a key, so they wouldn't turn, and the bumper (deluxe model) had bent upward, so the corners were holding both doors closed.

Finally dad came to something like a right mind, and he unlatched the side doors, lying on the middle seat, he kicked the side doors open.

I assume, after the adrenilin wore off, he drove the van home, but it may have been towed. After a wash job, the damage was amazingly superfecial. The right front turn signal was busted out, from a perfect shot by the marker, the front bumper brackets were bent, as was the right front side hinge. There were no dents I could detect, although the paint may have been worn through on the right side (or it could have been dirt). As far as I know, the only paint needed was on the bumper (w/ a very small dent), and to the doors where dad tried to open them... and the bumper cut the paint.

No "noticable damage", but trapped inside. I think I'll go for the short bumpers, if I have a choice.