Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Sep 1996 20:15:21 -0700
From:         Robert Crawford <robertc@snowcrest.net>
Subject:      Re: inadequate cooling

At 09:50 PM 9/7/96 -0500, Christine Murdock wrote: >Is my '86 Wasserboxer's inadequate cooling partly due to trapped air in >upper engine compartment? In aircraft baffling you must allow as much >air exit as entry; so I would think 3 loouvered cutouts each side of oil >tube access door extending to tail lights would help. Has anyone else >ever considered this? Rawson Murdock >

First off, the real VW nuts will tell you that the coolind system is not inadequate, that you must be doing something wrong.

With that out of the way I'll relate what I've done (I have a diesel, but the cooling is similar). I've put in a manual switch for the fan and I run it on high a lot, probably more than I need to, it dosen't hurt anything to run it on high (asumeing that you have a thermostst, it you don't. Get one.), other than it's a little loud, but then I'm in a diesel (noise? what noise? I don't hear anything).

I also put clamps on the hose that runs from the recovery tank to the pressure tank. After doing this I have had no air at the radiator bleed valve.

Robert Crawford