Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Sep 1996 18:16:43 -0400
From:         "Charles Michaux." <cmichaux@carolinanet.com>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Cuts Out

Paul,

I had a similar problem with my '86. Try checking the computer under the back seat for a short. While the engine is running, push the computer against the frame the see if it stops. All I did was put a square of cardboard between the computer and the frame and fixed the problem.

Good Luck,

Charles Michaux '91 Westy (31K)

PS. The dealer said I needed a new computer for $700.00 to fix the problem!!!!

---------- > From: Paul A. Cianciolo <PaulC@esslink.com> > To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> > Subject: Vanagon Cuts Out > Date: Monday, September 02, 1996 9:24 AM > > Hello Everyone, > > > I have a 1986 Vanagon GL with AC and automatic trans and a 2.1iter motor. > New motor with 10,000 miles on it. > > This Vanagon has a problem where after about 20 min or so of 60 to 65 mph > driving it will cut out for about 1/2 sec then keep on going with no trouble > for a while (maybe a minute maybe 10 min.) and then the motor will cut out > again. > > It is very abrupt when it does this. And when the motor restarts again it is > also very violent. This seems to worse the warmer the engine temp. Although > over the course of my commute 1 hr+ it may do this once or twice or not at all. > > > I read on the list about wiring harnesses and such but I am not sure this is > hte same problem. When it happens, the tach. drops very quickly, more > quickly than I would expect, so I am not sure if I am losing electrical > power to the motor. > I does not backfire when this happens though. > > Also does anyone know the normal operating range as depicted by the gauge in > my van. Do we know what the actual spread in degrees is across the range of > the gauge. If I sit in traffic for awhile I can see the gauge go almost 3/4 > of the way across the face, but I have not seen it go any furtheer than that. > > I have bled the system and there does not seem to be any air in it. > > > Thanks folks > > > > > > 73's > PaulC KB1RP