Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 09 Sep 1996 01:21:47 -0400
From:         Cetin Seren <cseren@fore.com>
Subject:      Re: need advice on buying a used van

My '87 has 138,000 miles on it now. Original heads. I recently did add a helping of Bars' Leaks, because the heads were leaking. There is still some coolant loss, so do end up adding about a quart of coolant every 600 miles or so...

One important question you should ask is: which type of A/C? if it is the type that is mounted in the rear cargo area ceiling, then it is not as good as the one that has the ceiling wents through the length of the bus, mounted top center.

$2,300.00 sounds way too good... Is there something they are not telling you about, maybe???

Cetin

At 11:05 AM 9/9/96 -0500, Turner,Ronald L. wrote: >Hi Volks, I am looking into buying a '87 GL to upgrade to the larger engine, >power steering, and A/C which my '84 doesnt have. the body is very straight , >paint good, and has the optional "sport stripe" kit ( wowee!!) and those neat >"carat" alloy wheels. the price is very reasonable, I think, ($ 2300), but >there are a few drawbacks. First is that the odometer reads 157k. At this kind >of mileage I am sure the head gaskets have been replaced, but the current >owners,( very short term that is,) don't have any repair records. How many of >you 2.1 liter wasserboxer owners out there have this kind of mileage or more on >your engines? What is the average interval for head gaskets? My '84 which has >110k on it had the head gaskets replaced at 80k by the PO. What other problems >should I look for on a hi mileage van? The second problem is that the shifter >linkage is messed up and I cant get it in gear, but I have a friend who had the >same problem with his van and it was just the shift linkage,and not a problem w/ >the tranny. I ran It for a while and the coolant light did not come on so I >guess this is a plus. > >Any advice would be appreciated ASAP as iI'm going down to look at it again this >evening and go over it w/ a fine toothed comb. > >thanks >chris > > > Cetin Seren Direct: 412-635-3479 Software Development Engineer Main: 412-772-6600 Outbound Technology Group fax: 412-635-3350 FORE Systems, Inc. email: cseren@fore.com Research Park, 5800 Corporate Drive URL: http://www.fore.com Pittsburgh, PA 15237-5829